• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

starting engine in gear (manual)

I also park my Bee in gear with the parking brake on. I am talking about starting the car 'in' or 'out' of gear. I am used to starting in neutral with foot on brake now so I guess I will continue that trend.

When "starting" the Engine, especially the earlier B/RB's... BEST practice is to be in NEUTRAL with the Clutch Pedal OUT !
because....
on the Earlier B/RB 383/440's prior to 1974..... they had a smaller Crank Thrust Bearing prior to 1974 Engines, meaning the earlier 383/440's had a very narrow Thrust, lower load carrying capacity.
and remember here....
Every time you depress the clutch you are trying to push the Crank out the front of the Block, and when the Engine is NOT running there is NO Oil on the Crank/Main Thrust Bearing which Lubes by drip only anyway.

Best "cure" with the earlier B/RB's with the smaller Crank Thrust Bearings when running a HP or High Load Clutch, is when rebuilding to "file" a small .040" wide Chamfer in the Bearing at the parting line to pressure feed a very small amount of Oil over onto the Thrust.... same as is done with Ford's that continually EAT their Mains and Cranks !

I also park my Bee in gear with the parking brake on. I am talking about starting the car 'in' or 'out' of gear. I am used to starting in neutral with foot on brake now so I guess I will continue that trend.
Well, like I've stated already, I always start mine in neutral, clutch out. As others have stated, that's the condition that puts things in a least stressful condition when everything is cold.

This is getting out of hand. So, when sitting at a known long red light in San Jose (in Reno, red lights seem to last most of the afternoon with no demand loops) I always wait in neutral with clutch out to reduce wear. I hope the consensus is good for this habit

Once you start a hydraulic clutch car in gear with a failed master cylinder, you’ll never start one in gear again. I have to push in the clutch on our challenger because of the clutch switch, but it’s always in neutral.

Some of us are just thankful the car starts.
(Neutral, clutch out for me).

Some of us are just thankful the car starts.
(Neutral, clutch out for me).

Same so I don't crash though the wall of the garage if anything happens. No arms or legs hanging out of the car on startup either.

That’s right, the new Challenger won’t spin unless the clutch is depressed. Neutral or not.

I am afraid to ask opinions on down shifting or putting it in neutral and using brakes when coming to a red light.

I just put it in neutral and enjoy the 11” Hemi Drums. Great modulation and performance.
Love those 70 mph off ramps.

No clutch, power down shifts for me... but I just like doing it and the fact I know how from my old milk truck days!

FWIW, my father had an old 53' Ford Jubilee tractor (1953, 1 year only)that was in the family since it was new. When I was about 7 he showed me how to plow & disc with it. He also showed me how to start it, because we also used it in the winter to plow the driveway. Always in neutral, with the clutch depressed. Once running let out the clutch, you could hear the engine bog a little as the trans started its thing(still in neutral)...
I know its a different animal, but this tractor still has its same clutch & has never been split. Still runs like the dickens & does all our chores. Love my memories too as my father past away March of 2018. Last year was the first time I bushhogged the fields lookin up at the house knowing he wasnt watchin how I was doing...
During my life, I've started a lot of clutch stuff in & outa gear, but have ALWAYS had the clutch in, neutral or not... Just got to be a habit, I guess.

Auto Transport Service
Back