• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting issues - weird situation

I think it may have jumped timing. What was done with the timing sprockets and chain when this engine was rebuilt?
And explain what you mean that the carburetor was "running funny" in the original posting??

I think it may have jumped timing. What was done with the timing sprockets and chain when this engine was rebuilt?
And explain what you mean that the carburetor was "running funny" in the original posting??
I built this up from an old block, with all new parts- timing chain, sprocket, all that. The marks I made to show the timing are all still lining up, and it doesn't look like anything has jumped.

When the car was running, before the rebuild, I noticed that there was a vacuum leak at the carb. Being that it was probably 15 years since the last rebuild I bought a new kit and went to town.

I built this up from an old block, with all new parts- timing chain, sprocket, all that. The marks I made to show the timing are all still lining up, and it doesn't look like anything has jumped.

When the car was running, before the rebuild, I noticed that there was a vacuum leak at the carb. Being that it was probably 15 years since the last rebuild I bought a new kit and went to town.
The marks YOU made to show the timing?? What and where are these marks? Please explain what you mean here.

I'm talking about the relative positioning of the cam sprocket and crank sprocket. These have definite marks from the factory and must be aligned correctly. So do you have the water pump and front timing cover off of the engine, so you can verify that the cam timing is still in synch with the crankshaft?? From the ignition backfire you described, the chipped intermediate gear, and the distributor not seating, I suspect that it is possible that the timing chain slipped a notch.

In the original post you said the dist was 'raised a16th off the block'....???
Also shaft length means nothing. The distance that needs to be measured for comparison purposes is from the dist flange [ where it contacts the block ] to the tip of the shaft.

Auto Transport Service
Back