• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Static Timing

PolaraFury

Local time
1:30 PM
Reaction score
So I set the timing gear in and got the distributor set with the rotor pointed at #1 cylinder

when I set the cap on the distributor assembly, the rotor is pointed at #4 (inside the cap)

Am I off or do I need to adjust?

Thanks

number 1 is in the 5 o clock position looking down at the distributor that's where the rotor should be pointed

number 1 is in the 5 o clock position looking down at the distributor that's where the rotor should be pointed
I should point the rotor at the #1 inside the cap and not at the #1 cylinder?

If you are working on a big block.

timing.png

I like to point the rotor at #1 with the crank 10-15 degrees before TDC........ they always start first shot with zero drama

make sure you are on the compression stroke

The rotor does not know where #1 cylinder is. It only knows what tower #1 is plugged into.
Yes it does! It will tell you where #1 is. Put #1 cylinder on compression stroke with timing mark at TDC and that’s #1, the rotor knows. Where you want to put the wire by following that chart doesn’t mean anything. You can move the rotor to face any direction for #1 by moving the distributor drive gear.

Maybe there's a preferred location?? I don't know but the process is extremely easy and I never worried about where #1 ended up unless there was a plug wire routing issue. As mentioned, bring #1 up on the compression stroke.. I personally set it at 12 degrees BTDC then line up a tower with the rotor and that's #1 regardless of where it's at.

This is the one thing that always aggravates me about the TV shows, they constantly have it 180 degrees out.. building drama I suppose? I don't think I've ever had a car not fire right off the bat so no way these guys get it wrong so often:realcrazy:.
I like to point the rotor at #1 with the crank 10-15 degrees before TDC........ they always start first shot with zero drama

make sure you are on the compression stroke
Same here, aim small, miss small lol.
geese , such drama over a simple question
Ahh... I think it's just a misunderstanding, pretty sure they both meant the exact same thing just worded it differently.

Yes it does! It will tell you where #1 is. Put #1 cylinder on compression stroke with timing mark at TDC and that’s #1, the rotor knows. Where you want to put the wire by following that chart doesn’t mean anything. You can move the rotor to face any direction for #1 by moving the distributor drive gear.
I think he means he's pointing the rotor physically toward where the #1 cyl is on the block ?

everything will depend of the oil pump/dist shaft indexing. If correctly done... well, will match the one on cap

df36d788c7d64eb7b3e89300e43193d9.jpg

big block

attachment.jpg

Small Block

attachment.jpg

This is for factory stock Dist... Units with Mallory advance gutters will be 80° offset from that ( BTDT )

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back