• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steer & Gear or Firm Feel ...for new power steering gear box - 71 Charger

DrewTX

Local time
1:53 PM
Reaction score
After much research, I've decided to stay away from the A-1 Cardone power steering gear box from the local auto parts store and only $92 at RockAuto (with pitman arm). This was REALLY tempting, but I believe you get what you pay for. Also, this is a beast to replace and I definitely do not want to do this again soon. Everything I have read shows the two quality rebuilders are Firm Feel (Vancouver, WA) $359 and Steer & Gear (Colombus, OH) $290. I would greatly appreciate your opinions on which you think is better. Quality? Service? Warranty? Overall experience?
Big thanks! Drew ~ Fort Worth, Texas. :icon_sunny:

Steer and Gear Stage 2 put in my 70 RR this past summer. Very happy with it.

Glad you ask this question, I was wanting to know the same thing.

I have both a power and manual box from Steer and Gear with no problems. Cant go wrong with either company imo.

Looks like Steer & Gear has some 15-20% off offers on Facebook from time to time.

I purchased a steer and gear stage 2 a couple years back, and I am super happy with it.

My vote is for Firm Feel. I got my entire steering and suspension setup from them (excepting the upper and lower control arms) and am completely happy with the products. I spoke to Dick on the phone several times regarding my steering gear box and the core return and the customer service was excellent. I had several technical questions before purchasing, and they were able to answer my questions and explain the benefits of the suspension/steering packages. I went with Stage II, which I thought was best for street.

I just ordered the Cardone unit from Summit yesterday for $117 + $50 Core price, but it's on back order til April 9th.
Has anyone purchased this unit and have had problems with it?

I just sent mine to steer and gear went with the sport feel which is extra firm 2 week turn around I have the engine out for a rebuild so will be easy to get back in I can not wait to drive it but because of body work etc may be 12 months before the first ride

Due to lack of funds, I went cheap and ordered an A1 Cardone power steering gearbox for my 1971 Charger PN 27-6581 from Summit Racing. It was on backorder for over 2 months really holding up my build. A1 Cardone - Summit Racing finally cancelled the backorder detailing "not available" but never notified me. Don't waste your time like I did....go with Steer & Gear or Firm Feel. I guess you get what you pay for; in this case- nothing. Bummer.

Firm feel is a very good company, the owner gives very good service and knows his cars. I bought all suspension parts from him, pleased with quick delivery everything looked well made and a pleasant guy to deal with. On another note back east here Cardone based in Philadelphia has been in the business of mass production rebuilding of parts for many years. You will not get the service from Cardone! They are in the high production rebuild business and could never have the knowledge that a Firm Feel would have. I also have never heard anything bad about Steer & Gear either.. I have to vote for Dick since he just took the time to get all done promptly..

I went with Firm Feel stage 3 along with the Fast ratio idler and pitman arms. The fast ratio arms increase the firmness since they increase the length/leverage on the steering gear. I'm quite happy.

The cheapie rebuilders are just basic "clean and regasket" jobs. NO hard parts are replaced. Any steering slop or play that the unit had before will be there afterwards.

I went with the Steer and Gear Stage 2. I installed a new-rebuilt pump from Advance Auto with all new hoses, flushed with 4 quarts to make sure it was clean and bled by lifting the car running and turning from side to side checking the fluid level. My steering is pretty sloppy at the wheel and I often get that wonderful honking weird sound when turning at a stop postion. I guess it's the PS pump, but these are not sophisticated devices. Any thoughts?

Auto Transport Service
Back