• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Box Gear Ratio's

VANDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:37 PM
Reaction score
I am sending my '63 Dodge Manual Steering Gear Box out for re-work. The stock ratio is 24:1, but they offer 20:1 & 16:1 options also, at roughly 2x the cost. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this "upgrade" to a similar '62-'65 B-body, and how it worked, liked it, and ratio preferred ? I would like to have tighter steering on it, but I don't plan to road race, or auto-cross the car, as it's gonna be heavy up front with an all "cast iron" MW, mainly local driving to car functions, and occasional NSS drag racing. I would appreciate any & all thoughts on this before I send it out to Firm Feel, Thanks...

I am sending my '63 Dodge Manual Steering Gear Box out for re-work. The stock ratio is 24:1, but they offer 20:1 & 16:1 options also, at roughly 2x the cost. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this "upgrade" to a similar '62-'65 B-body, and how it worked, liked it, and ratio preferred ? I would like to have tighter steering on it, but I don't plan to road race, or auto-cross the car, as it's gonna be heavy up front with an all "cast iron" MW, mainly local driving to car functions, and occasional NSS drag racing. I would appreciate any & all thoughts on this before I send it out to Firm Feel, Thanks...

I have a 66 Barracuda FS with the optional factory fast ratio manual steering which is a 16:1 ratio. Driving at highway speeds is great, but get ready to grunt when parking or for some slow maneuvering. Can't say its my favorite option.

I have a 66 Barracuda FS with the optional factory fast ratio manual steering which is a 16:1 ratio. Driving at highway speeds is great, but get ready to grunt when parking or for some slow maneuvering. Can't say its my favorite option.
That's the impression I got when I spoke with them at Firm Feel, as they said basically it will be nice driving around town, but you will need to muscle it more at low speeds. I appreciate your feedback, and hope I get a few more responses on this. Thanks pbiggs !

Auto Transport Service
Back