• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Column O-ring Seal Installation

Toxic Orange 493

Local time
7:26 AM
Reaction score
I am in the process of trying to install the firewall plate on the steering column. I cannot get the o-ring compressed enough to get the plate past the two parts that hold the plate in place. I have been trying both a new o-ring and the old one.

Does anyone have any tips for how to get this plate on?

0CF77404-BB91-4204-B7FB-8B986DDA69C1.jpeg

The O-Ring goes between the two plates.

Yes I know it goes between them. I am trying to get the larger plate on that goes against the small one in the picture. I can’t squeeze the o-ring enough to get the other plate past the two points on the column that hold them.

I am pretty sure everything is on the other side of that hump.

So the two plates are on the far side of the humps from the steering wheel?

I am thinking that maybe the case. Because I did get them together on the side of the humps closer to the steering wheel. Then when I started to put the column in the car the studs that it mounts to seem to far out of the bracket on the column.

7EC20AF0-4A3B-44F3-BEB2-A24AE9D542B9.jpeg

And there is still a gap between the plate and the firewall.

F0F5EEB0-A99E-4C11-9807-639AD2922017.jpeg

So the two plates are on the far side of the humps from the steering wheel?

I am thinking that maybe the case. Because I did get them together on the side of the humps closer to the steering wheel. Then when I started to put the column in the car the studs that it mounts to seem to far out of the bracket on the column.

View attachment 1412664

And there is still a gap between the plate and the firewall.

View attachment 1412665
Yes. Going the way you have it I doubt you could get the box coupler at the right depth.

Yes. Going the way you have it I doubt you could get the box coupler at the right depth.

Thank you. I will move them to the other side of the humps. It has been over 10 years since I removed. I couldn’t tell in the pictures I had taken or any of the one I was able to find on this site.

Sometimes the simplest things throw a curve ball. Pretty sure when I was putting my Charger back together I had the same problem.

It made sense to me at first because the two plates have notch’s to fit over the humps. Thanks again

And here is the steering wheel temporarily installed. Needs to come back off so I can install the turn signal lever.
0C03C9CB-F930-4367-A5C8-A85A9044280C.jpeg

What are you putting back together? I see multiple year parts?
It is a 68 Coronet. It was 440 model that I am making an R/T clone. I know the tuff wheel and pistol grip are not correct for 68.

Auto Transport Service
Back