• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering column wiring removal

NSS1965AFX

Local time
12:22 PM
Reaction score
1965 Coronet steering column disassembly for restoration- Is there a way to push out the electrical connector contacts to allow the removal of wiring assembly?

Connector.JPG

Looks like you might squeeze them, then push it out through the back. Look close for what holds each one in.

They're not the same as my '62 or I'd show you pics.

What d/c says. ^^ I use a jewelers screwdriver to go in from behind to push down that little tab on the side of the terminal. Be sure to bend it back before you reinstall it in the holder.

Thank you everyone for your reply! Really frustrating with an old set of eyes lol. Very simple after doing the first one. Now I understand all that is needed is to insert a small flat tool (I used a modified cotter pin) on the contact side at each tab location. Once inserted, the tab becomes straight enough to enable pulling the terminal out from the wire side.

tabs.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

You can use a piece of stiff wire and tape your leads to it to help pull them back in when you're ready.
20170720_212947.jpg
20170720_215610.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back