• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering coupler help

OH71RRunner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:29 AM
Reaction score
Apparently, I'm missing the metal bracket thing on my steering coupler. The rubber boot keeps sliding up the shaft. Is this going to be an issue? Can I just wrap some electrical tape to keep it from sliding up?
Here's some pictures of what I'm talking about
20190203_233231.jpg
20190203_233243.jpg

Zip-tie might work better than tape until you can get it fixed properly.

You could use one of these before and after you get the rebuild kit. Just Google "Mopar Steering Coupler Clip"

mkGBP19Fz12C5TBFPFwqwdg.jpg
5380627-CouplerandClip.jpg

Do I need to rebuild or replace the coupler or just put the clip on and all's good?

69-19-4_page2.jpg

Ma sez "if you disturb, put on this here clamp!" :thumbsup:

Do I need to rebuild or replace the coupler or just put the clip on and all's good?
If you’re that close and you don’t know when or if at all it’s been rebuilt, I’d do it! Kits are not that expensive and I would definitely get a clip as pictured above for the final piece. I just did this last winter and wasn’t bad at all. I will say, that retaining clip can be a real pain to get on! It’s tight!

I have the cover/retainer if you want one. I'll bet the inner parts are OK to reuse if cleaned and greased. Shipping only for used cover from MI.
Mike

Those wire clamps can be a bitch to install.

First of all, thanks for the replies and help. After some rather choice words, I got the steering column out and coupler off. Got the internals and case soaking. That grease in there was almost hard.

Is this pin supposed to come out?
20190204_142508.jpg

I didn't want to beat on it, but it doesn't seem like it wants to come out. I looked in the FSM and I didn't see anything about it coming out. It's possible I overlooked it.

Yes, that pin comes out and you'll want to reuse it as the rebuild kit pins are ****!

Use a press, or get a deep socket that fits over the pin.. put the socket on the floor, pin in socket and solid blow with a BFH !

not wanting to hijack the thread but where is a good place to get the rebuild kit for 62-64?

Last edited:
First of all, thanks for the replies and help. After some rather choice words, I got the steering column out and coupler off. Got the internals and case soaking. That grease in there was almost hard.

Is this pin supposed to come out? View attachment 715574

I didn't want to beat on it, but it doesn't seem like it wants to come out. I looked in the FSM and I didn't see anything about it coming out. It's possible I overlooked it.

I wouldn't take the pin out if it's in good shape. The seal and metal cover will slip over it. The one I had, the pin was really in there tight and I was afraid to screw it up trying to remove it.

The shoes only go in one direction. If you didn't take note of their orientation let me know and I can post pics.

not wanting to hijack the thread but where is a good place to get the rebuild kit for 62-64?
I actually acquired one on ebay from seller Hemi Eddie. He had the right one with the black seal instead of the red one that you normally see. Other than him I would try Joe Suchy.

Auto Transport Service
Back