• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Coupler install into Gearbox

68Dodge

Local time
4:07 AM
Reaction score
Hello All,
I've disconnected the steering coupler from the gearbox years ago and now finally putting it back in, but I don't remember how far it supposed to go. This is how far I managed to get it by hand (see picture). Does it need to go in further? If so, is there a tool, it was hard enough just getting it this far by hand. Also, bought a 5/16" roll pin, is this the right size? Any help is appreciated.

WP_20150519_001[1].jpg

The splines on the coupler and the steering box have a master spline to line them up. Clean and lube the splines . line up master spline, and slide it on. Has to go on further than you have it. The narrow part of the steering box shaft has to line up with the roll pin.

Ahh that takes me back. I remember being in the same boat as you are now. It's not the easiest of things to get into place but it will go more.
Took me ages to finally get mine to where it needs to be but hang on in there and you'll get it.

Auto Transport Service
Back