• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering coupler roll pin hole alignment not correct

Beekeeper

It’s a disease without a cure!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:05 PM
Reaction score
Never ran into this problem before but the groove on the steering box input shaft does not line up correctly with the hole in the steering shaft coupler roll pin hole.
This a factory column and coupler as well as power steering gear. I am attaching a pic of the roll pin that came out during disassembly.
Car is a 69’ bee with factory power steering and all factory components
hoping someone has some insight on this.
IMG_6095.jpeg

Perhaps you could run a drill through the assembled items and get a new pin? If this is not a restoration, a bolt with self locking nut could be used also (grade 8 hardware).
Mike

Picture of the roll pin isn't nearly as helpful as a picture of the coupler hole would be..

Picture of the roll pin isn't nearly as helpful as a picture of the coupler hole would be..
The roll pin is deformed from being driven in with this alignment issue at some point in its life.

As i already thought kinda hard to get a useful pic of the hole
IMG_6097.jpeg
IMG_6098.jpeg

A 5/16 roll pin punch should fit right through with no force needed but it doesn’t. I can see the shaft groove protruding in the coupler hole.
The coupler can be moved forward and aft
on the gear box shaft by hand and i have the splines on both sides lined up where you can’t see them.

The "roll pin groove" goes around the whole input shaft - meaning the pin will fit in any position. You have just pushed the coupler on either too far or not far enough.

Pull the coupler back and then push it on while watching the hole. When its round and unobstructed all the way through that's when you install the pin.

The "roll pin groove" goes around the whole input shaft - meaning the pin will fit in any position. You have just pushed the coupler on either too far or not far enough.

Pull the coupler back and then push it on while watching the hole. When its round and unobstructed all the way through that's when you install the pin.
Done this a couple times now I can move easily by hand. Everything has been cleaned up and restored on the parts.
no matter fore or aft it doesn’t line up correctly. I could try driving a roll pin punch in the hole but im sure it’s gonna gouge out the groove in the shaft.

Here’s maybe a little better pic of the hole
IMG_6101.jpeg

Really isn't much you can do about it short of replacing the coupler and/or the steering box... The pin was in the hole before, it'll go back in the hole... Like gkent mentioned the groove goes all the way around so it's not an alignment of the shaft issue.. Put the pin in the hole & know it's not going to fall out..

There is no "roll pin hole" in the input shaft - just a groove around the whole thing. In the photo the hole is round all the way through so what's the issue ??? The pin serves ONE purpose - to prevent to coupler from coming off the input shaft. So the pin only has to fit snug in the coupler - doesn't even have to touch the shaft! Get a new pin !!

There is no "roll pin hole" in the input shaft - just a groove around the whole thing. In the photo the hole is round all the way through so what's the issue ??? The pin serves ONE purpose - to prevent to coupler from coming off the input shaft. So the pin only has to fit snug in the coupler - doesn't even have to touch the shaft! Get a new pin !!
I’m fully aware of the groove in the shaft and how it all works. Im also not a rookie here the groove in the shaft is protruding in the hole in the coupler otherwise a 5/16 roll pin punch would drop right in. I will beat it back in there like it was and call it done.

Last edited:
On second thought I will cut the joint in a new roll pin wider to allow the pin to reduce in diameter a little more. doubt it will fall out at the high rpms the shaft sees.:thumbsup:

With the coupler in place you could use a small stone and a die grinder to relieve the shaft in the correct place.

Are you installing the roll pin with the tapered end in first ??

Roll pin is in gents thanks for the replies
I took the recommendation from steve340
worked out great!

Auto Transport Service
Back