• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Noise after Ignition Switch Replacement

Big G 74

Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
I changed the ignition switch, tested it for shorts, worked fine, so I buttoned everything up. Now the steering isn't as smooth as it was an there is rubbing sound, think its the lock plate rubbing on the ignition switch housing. Everything went together fine, but it seems the steering shaft is sitting lower than it as before, causing the rub. Any thoughts?

I take for granted you removed the steering wheel. You need to go back in and make sure you put the steering shaft snap ring back in place. It holds the steering shaft up and keeps it from dropping down like you describe.

Rusty Rat, much thanks. I put the snap ring on, but did not have it seated in the groove. Appreciate the advice!!

Wow, nice call, Rusty!

I take for granted you removed the steering wheel. You need to go back in and make sure you put the steering shaft snap ring back in place. It holds the steering shaft up and keeps it from dropping down like you describe.

Since you seem to be the guru, and this is my first rebuild, I have another question for you: what is the best way to vent my gas tank. Here is a little background: I have a 440 and when I got it, it had a fuel line and what I assume was a vent line returning to the tank. It also had a second vent line, that went from the tank to where the canister should be, but this car didn't have a canister, so he just had the line plugged with a pencil. According to the manuals I have, it looks as though the guy just ran a vent line all the way back to the tank from the carb, because it should of returned to the canister. The actual vent line that was suppose to go to the canister was the one that was plugged off. So, can I just vent the tank with a breather filter and run it out of a wheel-well? I know I have to vent, so I don't build up pressure. I am not worried about emission testing, I just want it to run with out any problems. Your advice Sir would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm no guru. I learned things in my life by screwing them up first. I've screwed up a lotta stuff too.

Anyway, what kinda build is your car? Stock? Mild to moderate? Street strip? If it's stock to moderate and mainly a street car, you can actually benefit from the factory vapor return system. It does exactly what it describes. It returns vapors to the fuel tank where they condense back into liquid fuel. So, that can actually gain you some MPG. If your car is more radical, what I would do would be to drill an 1/8 hole in the gas cap for a vent and be done with it. A lot of people cringe when I say that, but that's how they were vented long before the gubmint stepped in. It worked fine for a long time.

Rusty, I am the king of screwing things up, but somehow I'm almost done with this muther! I stroked the 440 to a 505 and it dyno'd on the stand at 655 hp with 684 torque. I didn't try to get here, but it just took on a life of it's own. Either way, I like how the hole in the cap idea, as long as it releases pressure, I can live with it.

Auto Transport Service
Back