• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering went out while driving!!!!

68chargerguy

Local time
9:11 PM
Reaction score
The shaft inside the steering column somehow came out of the steering coupler that connects to the power steering pump by a couple of inches while driving my charger the other day. Luckly I was just pulling back into my driveway when it came all the way out. I have taken apart the column and inspected the shaft and pulled it back out but have no idea what is supposed to keep this from happening again. Any ideas???
:eusa_think:

Not sure on a 68 if it's the same as a 70, but on my 70, the main steering shaft in the column has plastic pins in it, that are meant to collapse (right!) if your body hits it in an accident. If it's the same, have the plastic pins sheared off? Only other thing I can think of is if the roll pin on the coupler came out?

I drove my '72 without those plastic pins for months while trying to find a new set (finally found 'em on eBay) and all it did was make a scraping noise on turns. Those can't be the culprit here, especially since they're near the wheel (intended to keep you from getting speared in an accident) and the coupler came apart from the PS pump here. More likely a retaining pin/seal. Scary to think this could have happened on the road instead of the driveway!

From what you guys said I think my problem may be two fold. I did not see any plastic pins and the only parts on the end of the shaft were a pin with one retaining clip. I assume the seal is supposed to clamp onto the coupler but it never has. I Appreciate the help.

Auto Transport Service
Back