• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

.......still waiting

Oil, water (take some spare of each with you), tyre pressures (hopefully you got some American compressed air imported with the car....the Aussie stuff wont work!!!) and just take it easy. These things dont have the handling, brakes, steering etc of anything remotely modern.....not so much worse as very different....and of course they put the steering wheel on the wrong side for us left side drivers....so be careful with the overtaking. Im guessing you have some sort of break down service already!!! Most of all enjoy it.....my biggest regret is not driving mine before I completely took it apart about 4 years ago....not that it would have been anything like road legal....LOL! I look forward to hearing how your journey went.

Oil, water (take some spare of each with you), tyre pressures (hopefully you got some American compressed air imported with the car....the Aussie stuff wont work!!!) and just take it easy. These things dont have the handling, brakes, steering etc of anything remotely modern.....not so much worse as very different....and of course they put the steering wheel on the wrong side for us left side drivers....so be careful with the overtaking. Im guessing you have some sort of break down service already!!! Most of all enjoy it.....my biggest regret is not driving mine before I completely took it apart about 4 years ago....not that it would have been anything like road legal....LOL! I look forward to hearing how your journey went.

Thanks.
any recommendation for oil?

i'm thinking to take:

Oil
Water
Battery Booster
some rags
Tire Pressure gauge
a chamois (i want to give it a clean)
I'm also considering taking the new wheels and tires, i have no idea how old the tires are, and i really don't want a blow out.

Would 4 x 215/70r14 wheels and tires fit in the back of the runner? if so, i will take my new wheels down, and drive past a tire shop and get them fitted and aligned...

Just make sure you lash them together so you don't throw one into a quarter panel cruising home!

Thanks.
any recommendation for oil?

i'm thinking to take:

Oil
Water
Battery Booster
some rags
Tire Pressure gauge
a chamois (i want to give it a clean)
I'm also considering taking the new wheels and tires, i have no idea how old the tires are, and i really don't want a blow out.

Would 4 x 215/70r14 wheels and tires fit in the back of the runner? if so, i will take my new wheels down, and drive past a tire shop and get them fitted and aligned...

Take some Brake Fluid too. Dot 3 I believe. Also, if it has power steering, take power steering fluid, and if an automatic, transmission fluid.

Also, never hurts to have some zip ties and also some duct tape or rescue tape for any hose leaks.

Aaaaaghhhh...ok..so.......

I got an email this morning to say the cars been approved, im like sweet....thats early...so I managed to convince my wife that it had to be picked up today.....had a few things to sort out like insurance and permits etc, checked on the map and saw there was a repco less than a km away so i figured id stop there after picking the car up and buy whatever i needed....becuase i didnt have any oil etc at home anyhow...

So, 2.5hrs drive later, we arrive (3:30pm).....
Car starts no prob, and sounds amazing.....they move some other cars etc out of the way and leave it running while im checking out everything....

Then he says, good to go....i get in and cant put it into gear.....clutch felt springy but didnt have quite the resistance i was expecting .....we fiddle around for half an hour and i quickly realise that at 4:30pm....i wasnt going to get a mobile mechanic to help (as per earlier posts....im green to this)..... and secondly, i couldnt get it to a mechanic as i couldnt engage a gear.

With the car off, we could force it into gear however we couldnt start it in gear as it jist would try lurch forward.......

So long story later, i apologized to my wife, drove her home and called a tow truck to pick it up in the morning which will cost 600 bucks....

What a anticlimax!!!!!....such a pity, i was hanging for that road trip.....

Bugger.

Just for the record, i dont believe its an issue with the box, i think its maybe the master cylinder or something....

Bit odd, the seller drove it around when i did a video call with him....

Unless its air in the fluid....or i dunno....

Mate that's a bummer but at least you'll get the car home safe and in one piece.
Before you go on any road trips (and once the clutch is sorted) do yourself a favour and change the oil and filter. The best stuff here in Oz is Penrite HPR30 20W-60 Extra Ten, Full Zinc. You can get it at Repco, Supercheap etc. A Ryco oil filter will be fine. Not sure on the code, the small blocks use a Z89 or Z89A if you have exhaust clearance issues.
Which direction are you 2 hrs - North, South or West?

Mate that's a bummer but at least you'll get the car home safe and in one piece.
Before you go on any road trips (and once the clutch is sorted) do yourself a favour and change the oil and filter. The best stuff here in Oz is Penrite HPR30 20W-60 Extra Ten, Full Zinc. You can get it at Repco, Supercheap etc. A Ryco oil filter will be fine. Not sure on the code, the small blocks use a Z89 or Z89A if you have exhaust clearance issues.
Which direction are you 2 hrs - North, South or West?

thanks for the advice on Oil....
2hrs north (Hunter Region)

The clutch on your car should be mechanical unless a previous owner changed it. The clutch pedal pushes on a "Z bar" that in turn pushes a rod under the car and that rod pushes on the clutch fork that enters the bellhousing. You should be able to see this movement from under the car when somebody pushes the clutch from the driver's seat. It might just be a simple adjustment, although it seems odd that it was driven to where it sits now and suddenly now won't work.

The clutch on your car should be mechanical unless a previous owner changed it. The clutch pedal pushes on a "Z bar" that in turn pushes a rod under the car and that rod pushes on the clutch fork that enters the bellhousing. You should be able to see this movement from under the car when somebody pushes the clutch from the driver's seat. It might just be a simple adjustment, although it seems odd that it was driven to where it sits now and suddenly now won't work.

yes it is odd, except that in shipping, its moved without them turning it on....when i got there, the yard turned it on for the first time in front of me, and they have these forklift attachments that go under the wheels and that's how they move them around.

i really hope its just a simple fix, i guess if i knew what i was doing i probably couldve fixed it at the site.....unfortunately i dont know very much about these old cars, but hey, one way to find out.....the damn hard way...

any pics of this Z bar? or what do i google to find one...

it has a master cylinder like the following....i guess this means its been changed?

s-l640.jpg

Here is my unrestored Z Bar. Basically a bar with two metal tabs welded on it:
IMG_4725.JPG

Here is my restored Z bar (silver) connecting to the clutch fork:
IMG_4740.JPG

The bottom of the Z bar pushes the clutch fork via the threaded rod that connects from the Z bar to the fork (poking out from the rubber boot). There is a nut on this metal rod that adjusts the clutch, although it seems doubtful that it suddenly got changed during shipping. There should be a couple or millimeters of play in this before the fork contacts the throwout bearing, and should should be able to feel the clutch fork wiggle a little bit. If it moves a lot, there is a problem.

or is that for the brakes?

Haha, I'm probably making a fool of myself!!!...
No, you are learning and asking questions - that is great!

What you have pictured is the master cylinder which is for brakes. It has nothing to do with getting the car in gear. If you have problems stopping, then that is another story!

Here is another view of the bottom of the Z bar connection to the transmission.
IMG_5029.JPG

And another (note here the clip that attaches the rod to the Z bar is not on and it is not adjusted fully):
IMG_5160.JPG

Here is another view of the bottom of the Z bar connection to the transmission.
View attachment 1037156

And another (note here the clip that attaches the rod to the Z bar is not on and it is not adjusted fully):
View attachment 1037157

Awesome, thanks for your help. another legend on this forum.
will check this out once it arrives here....

Will let you know how i go.

oh and PS, damn your car looks clean under there....i hope it gets to see the road every now and then.

Auto Transport Service
Back