• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock wiring, unterminated wire.

Potshot

Local time
2:02 PM
Reaction score
I've been working on my 67/440 charger and things have been going pretty well. Mostly.

Background: This is a relatively unmolested car I picked up from a friend and it had been sitting for 27 years. I replaced the fuel system, plugs, wires, and did the normal gentle revival. No drama. The car started well but ran pretty hot, pretty quick. It turns out that the radiator was stopped up so I replaced it with another, cleaned up the cooling system and installed a fan clutch and shroud.

I'm trying to start it up and am getting a no spark situation. This is something I can muddle through, but for some reason this unterminated wire is now standing out like a turd in a punch bowl.

It's light blue with a yellow stripe and goes back into the ignition module harness. Any ideas what it should be connected to?
The ignition is using a coil with an external ballast FWIW.

I'm pretty curious, the schematic I'm using doesn't seem to be much help.

PXL_20220523_171251557.jpg

It looks like you have a re-used 5 pin connector (for a double ballast resistor).
Since you have a 4 pin ECU it's an extra wire.
Likely your trouble lies elsewhere.

Thanks, I'll clean it up for now and move on.

Blue W/yellow tracer goes to 12v constant feed (run position, IGN 1) side of ballast resistor.
This may help:
ecudia.jpg

Well that explains it...

Sorry for not fully investigating that one.

Blue W/yellow tracer goes to 12v constant feed (run position, IGN 1) side of ballast resistor.
This may help:
View attachment 1288501

Becarefull with this diagram. Is valid just for mid to lates 70s cars when the ballast bypass source was changed out of the ign switch and moved to the starter relay.

The wire not used on 4 pins and single resistor is green traced red

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back