• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strapping down a B body to trailer

koosh

Local time
2:55 AM
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on where to put axle straps, have open trailer and want best locations for straps......I have 4 "J" hook straps, along with axle straps.....I do not have the style that goes over tires.....
This is for 69 RR.....THANKS

In the front go around the lower control arms close to the wheel. Go straight to you tie downs.

In the rear go around the axle at the leaf spring. Cross straps to you tie down points.

Do not tie down by the body unles you can really tie the car down and load the suspension.

Just set the parking brake it'll be fine

f90e3b255e8bae0f9904121e70e4f682.jpg

Frame rails have holes in them... use j hooks in all 4 frame rails

Yikes ... those frame rails are thin sheet metal. You can distort them with a screwdriver! I wouldn't be securing the car that way.

Yikes ... those frame rails are thin sheet metal. You can distort them with a screwdriver! I wouldn't be securing the car that way.

My '62 has a couple of elongated frame holes from just that.

I haven't bought any yet but I like the idea of two choker straps for the lower control arms or K frame. And two for the rear axle. Then hook your ratchet straps on to them.
20190312_222254.jpg

Seriously? How much experience do you have hauling cars Koosh?
If you have to ask maybe you had better call a pro.

Think ahead when you build the car and add tie down points. I box the end of the K frame with plates that have a hole for a tie down. That gives you a solid place to tie down the front.

DSC_3390 (Large).JPG

DSC_3387 (Large).JPG

Andy,
the tie down point looks nice but it is still a no go to tie down the car on a trailer (in a garage, yes). Never ever tie down a car on anything that is sprung - always on unsprung parts (tires, axles)! If tied down on a sprung part the hook/strap will put massive strain on the part and strap and can actually break/tear it when going over a bump! The suspension acts as a dampener/shock and the chassis must be allowed to move.

Last edited:
Seriously? How much experience do you have hauling cars Koosh?
If you have to ask maybe you had better call a pro.
Yes SERIOUSLY.....experience hauling cars? Yes.
Just looking for best points for b body....

My '62 has a couple of elongated frame holes from just that.

I haven't bought any yet but I like the idea of two choker straps for the lower control arms or K frame. And two for the rear axle. Then hook your ratchet straps on to them.
View attachment 733084
I like your idea with slip straps, but---- on rear axle the brake lines come into play.....so I plan to use standard axle straps that will leave a "gap" for the brake lines....

Easy to add a bracket under the shock plate. Also easy to weld loops on the K frame. If not go around the leaf spring in front of the axle housing and use the strut rods in the front. ALWAYS cross tie. As far as not attaching to the body. Most race shock manufacture recomended tieing the rear of the body down on a solid stop (jackstand, wooden block, etc) to keep the shocks from occeslating durine the tow. My experience has been towing drag cars since the mid 80,s. Thousands of miles towed.
Doug

My factory cars I just go around each side of the front of the K frame and axle straps around the rear axle. On my Challenger race car I welded hoops on the K frame and I have diagonal supports from the wheelie bar brackets that tie into the axle tubes that I wrap the axle straps around.

AndyF’s Tie downs work. Been using them for years.

I put a tie down hole in the shock plates that I make for Mancini Racing. That makes it easy to strap down the rear axle.
AR434b (Medium).JPG
AR434a (Medium).JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back