• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Street Hemi Orange

Ronald Weishaar

Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
What is everyone using to paint there engines street hemi orange. Has anyone used Eastwoods ceramic Chrysler orange engine paint?

I just use Dupicolor engine enamel on my engines. Looks and covers well. Stays looking good for a long time. The Charger engine in the red car has been installed since 2007.

20201011_185141.jpg

20201011_185148.jpg

20220908_184855.jpg

70RTSE3.jpg

100_1698.jpg

rsz_20160414_201144.jpg

IMG_8664.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

I know there is a special formula for the street Hemi's, as there is for the MWs. Not sure where you could find it, but my painter uses PPG products ?

Mopar used four different oranges on engines and aircleaners. Race hemi orange and two different street hemi oranges. And a "fram" orange for the aircleaners.
Which are you trying to match? (The later street hemi orange is what was used on 340,383, and 440s)
I recently used Omaha Orange from Mazzolini, (for race hemi) and was pleased with color and coverage.

Mopar used four different oranges on engines and aircleaners. Race hemi orange and two different street hemi oranges. And a "fram" orange for the aircleaners.
Which are you trying to match? (The later street hemi orange is what was used on 340,383, and 440s)
I recently used Omaha Orange from Mazzolini, (for race hemi) and was pleased with color and coverage.
want to paint a 383 HP in our 70 Super Bee

I repainted my Hemis intake with Duplicolor engine paint and have been somewhat disappointed in that any gas drips softens and discolors it. So I tried putting their clear engine paint over the top for more protection but gas dissolves it readily too. I’ve had my carbs off and on a dozen times lately making adjustments and it’s hard to remove them without a couple drops of gas here and there. I’ve always liked Duplicolor engine paint in the past so I don’t know what’s wrong with this stuff. If I can just keep gas off it, it seems fine otherwise.

By contrast, the VHT wrinkle finish black I used on the valve covers seems impervious to gas and just shakes it off. It seems to have great adhesion also. Don’t know if that applies to their regular engine paints or if they even stock a suitable Hemi orange. I used Duplicolor as it was the closest match to what was on the rest of the engine.

Just some random observations.

VHT has engine paint in Hemi orange. But I dont know if it is the right shade or resists gas.

KBS motor coater system is supposed to be good, but as with ALL of the paints, who knows if the color is right?
I'd probably give the VHT a shot. Its local for you, and there's enough available. Buy a can and try it on a test card or part. If you are happy, then get enough cans to do the job.

Last edited:
I just used VHT on mine. It’s a little more orange than the street hemi orange i used back in the day but understand what I’m dealing with over here: non original engine and I didn’t want to paint it turquois so I’m not going for the OE clone look

Pretty sure these valve covers were done with the mopar performance paint 20 years ago. Close enough for the girls we date

864B3191-6F16-4626-B80C-8A5D5482608B.jpeg

CC12DD0F-0DC7-4764-BB98-574FFD0756A6.jpeg

4E35D049-1169-4855-A572-AD372B20ED31.jpeg

36134335-85E5-41D8-80FE-9FCC3ED16003.jpeg

Intake is factory Hemi orange. Two brands of orange.
IMG_2187.JPG
IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2237.JPG

The orange is PPG 3116, single stage urethane on this one.
After it had cured for awhile I decided I wanted more gloss and a few more mils/little bit thicker appearance, so I
added a couple coats of some Acme Finish 1 FC720 clear. Really did the trick.

All catalyzed materials, sprayed with a gun etc, mostly because I want chemical resistance.

Rattle can paint can look really nice too, and as an experiment I tried the same clear coat over a cured rattle can product as a test.
Sort of using the rattle can stuff as a basecoat.
Really worked great and I think the hardened clear should be pretty resistant to chemicals and so on.

You can take rattle paint and (to a certain degree) bake it on, gently, by heating it with a propane torch.
This somewhat hardens the material and seems to toughen it. Nowhere near as much as an isocyanate hardened material
but an improvement over the fresh, sort of gummy/sticky rattle can stuff sometimes has for a long time until it air dries.

2kclearHemi.jpg

Last edited:
All look so good. Any Chrysler engine in orange looks good. Sorry 68 an older turquoise fans.

All look so good. Any Chrysler engine in orange looks good. Sorry 68 an older turquoise fans.
I've seen too many orange engine, (chevies included) and i didnt want black, so i used turquoise. Its different, and has a sleeper look to Mopar fans who know most hp mopars are orange.
My maxwedge is getting a proper race hemi orange, however.

Auto Transport Service
Back