• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Street traction

10 inch rims might help as well.
Tim, what backspace is needed for the rear on a stock axle/wheelhouse 69 B body? I have 8" 4.5 backspace on mine right now and I have 1" between the tire bulge and wheel well opening and on the inside about 1.5 from the tire bulge to the leaf spring.

5.25-5.5 You can get away with tighter clearance on leaf spring side as springs move with the axle. You can get more inside with the spring relocation brackets.

Traction on the street is about the perfect setup, and throttle control. Tires will help, but understanding how your suspension works (including the front) and maximizing it for weight transfer and then managing the throttle are how it's done.

whats the specs on those rims/tire combos in this pic?

tire brand/size, wheel brand, backspacing, etc. would be helpful.

i think dog dish look looks awesome.

do they fit in a stock 66 wheel well?

thanks,

watermelon
They are 255 60R15 Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S on 7" stock cop wheels. They fit well on my 66 Coronet 500.

I'm also running these - 255 60 ET street. A huge improvement over the larger street tires I had. I like the size better. They don't work when wet and I do not know how they would work if I really pushed a corner, but that isn't what I've been doing.

So there is no compromise. Sticky or street.

I think there are differences, but I have never gotten a straight answer about a street tire with a compound that is particularly sticky like a drag radial has. I know some Nitto drag radials are supposed to be less sticky than the MT's but the Nitto's also look like they have more grooves so maybe better in the rain. But bottom line is I have no direct experience with them. I'm reading this thread to learn, too. Then I'll be prepared when I have to replace mine next time.

what is the wheel size and back space. your car looks great

Thanks, they’re 15x7 with 4.5”bs. There’s room for more backspacing, another inch or so. I had some 15x8 with 5.5” bs that would’ve worked but the step inside the wheel wouldn’t clear the wilwood caliper, 15x7 cleared

thanks, looking to keep stock wheel wells but get the fat tires

Auto Transport Service
Back