• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stumped with a 383

I ground down the area of contact as well, and checked it, will run it soon.

I just learned in my thread, thank you miller, that the circle pattern is not desired, the full contact is the one you want.

The facts are still the same, the rockers that hit the retainers are the ones with the full contact.

At this point, adjustable seems like a no brainer.

I've never had a need to use anything, besides stamped steel rockers. All had the same full contact pattern, including the box of 20-30 I have in the shop now.

Know what your saying. Various parts, stock or otherwise, if moving parts need all around clearance. Full cycle, and through the heat range.
Once parts are mounted up, just have to check, so there's no contact where it shouldn't be.

Adjustable might easily be the way to go. But, still needs to be checked.
I turn mine over by hand, checking everything. Just what it takes.

I ground down the area of contact as well, and checked it, will run it soon.

I just learned in my thread, thank you miller, that the circle pattern is not desired, the full contact is the one you want.

The facts are still the same, the rockers that hit the retainers are the ones with the full contact.

At this point, adjustable seems like a no brainer.
I agree with adjustable, only reason I didn’t purchase any is cost and time it would take to set them properly; neither or which I have a lot of currently lol. One thing I did to check and make sure the rockers cleared the retainers was after I’d grind some surface area I’d color it with a sharpie, paint pen would work or whatever, and then run it take them back off and check if I saw any bare metal meaning contact if so I’d repeat until I didn’t see any more contact. Since then the noise has gone and all seems well. One day I’ll probably upgrade to adjustable but for as much as I’m able to drive the car for now I’m going to leave as is.

I know this is getting a bit far from the original issue but seriously consider going to an adjustable rocker
I have had two pushrods go through rockers and each time the lifter is pushed out of the bore and the oil pressure drops
This was a 440 with a relatively mild cam (Purple shaft 284/484) stock height 906 heads
The first time I figured it was a bad rocker but I checked the remaining 15 and found nothing unusual so I replaced the broken one and pushrod
It happened again on a different cylinder a few months later and I went to the Crane ductile Iron adjustables

One note this picture was taken after the rocker & pushrod had bounced around the shop for 20+ years so the shape of the rocker is not what it was when in the car

IMG_20190217_104139871.jpg IMG_20190217_104246746.jpg IMG_20190217_104019642.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back