• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sub frame connector welding question

rav440

Local time
12:09 PM
Reaction score
when you weld in the sub frame connectors does the car have to be perfectly level ? a few years ago when i was looking for sub frame connectors i read the install directions on a set from summit and it said the car had to be level

kinda makes sence and kinda doesnt . IE: i have my car up on jack stands with the read about 12"s lower than the front and side to side there may be as much as 1" tilt :scratchchin:

Yes, I would say level , just as it was sitting naturally, without any abnormal flex on the subframes. I always welded them in with the cars on 4 jack stands , with the car level , two on the lower control arms the other two on the rear end housing.

I was also wondering about this. I am going to put in sub frame connectors. I am going to XV motorsports connectors and need to know. Do they need to be seal welded? Or just 1" tacks every couple of inches and weld the ends solid?:edgy:

I'd do them the entire length for strength, and to keep water and muck from getting inside them

Gotta be level front to back and side to side, use a level on top of the rockers where the sill plate goes. You will notice the doors close easy when done right, and if you screw up, well, you'll notice that to.

That sounds good. I'll tack them in and move around both sides with 1" tacks until they are sealed up. Sounds like a good winter project, for a weekend anyway. Thanks

Use a water level top level the car. Get a 25 foot lenght of clear hose fill with water and locate the water level at one corner of where the frame connectors will start and move around to the 3 other corners to make sure car is level. You may need to shim the jack stands to get a good level. Also measure door opening and record...

Sub Frame Connectors

When I put mine on last year, the car was on the rotisserie so I fit them to the bottom of the floorpans and used sheetmetal screws to hold them in place. I then set four jack stands on the concrete floor and leveled them front-to-back, and cross-ways so they were all on the same plane. I used some 1/16", 1/8", and some sheet metal pieces to get the stands at the correct height. I put the stands just outboard of where the connectors will be welded, and set the car down and off of the rotisserie. The car sat down firm on all four stands. I crawlwd underneath and tacked them in place at the ends first, and then every six inches making sure that everything stayed cool. I put it back up on the rotisserie and turned the car completely over and finished the mig welding. Patience, Patience, Patience. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• DSCF8585.jpg
    DSCF8585.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 6,828
  • DSCF8593.jpg
    DSCF8593.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 3,162
  • DSCF8594.jpg
    DSCF8594.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,632
Auto Transport Service
Back