• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Subscriptions. Do you see what they’re doing?

IMG_4560.gif

I paid the $5.99 Peacock **** job to watch the KC Miami game. Looks to be the future of the NFL.

The $5.99 was not just for the game but a month of Peacock.

Last edited:
my thoughts on peacock , first - pay for one play off game this year , pay for all the play off games next year ! you don’t think the nfl will not take advantage of making more money? second - peacock does not have a good football announcers or program. one of there games came on here local tv . the announcers were awful….

How about $150 a month for Spectrum Cable, and my Mom can’t watch Murder She Wrote without a fee. WTH.

Use an antenna.
I have a Samsung smart tv. it has "Samsung channels" as my wife and I call them. Lot's of useless fluff, but also some interesting things. I like to watch Bob Barker give away 1981 cars on Price is Right Channel. motor trend has their own, they usually have 12 hours blocks of their shows.
The advertising is in there like a regular show would have, except because it is Samsung TV, many channels do not have sold out ad spots. So a lot of times the ad ends up being for the channel itself. OH NO! I have to take a break from the show I am watching to see an ad about the show I am watching! Beats seeing that heifer go on about her A1C. Or that Lume lady get excited about BO.
Best thing? One of the channels is 24/7 drag racing. Lots of reruns of recent events, but a couple days a week they play historic stuff. Now THAT is fun to watch.
You have to have internet for a smart TV obviously. But otherwise it is free.
I have only paid for TV once in my life, for less than a year, when I moved in with my wife in a town rental house before we got our place. That was ages ago before cable had commercials, before they killed off speed vision channel when you could still watch super bikes and rally races.
never since, never again. They have "bundled" themselves out of a customer lol. And streaming services, anything I consider "as a service" really, is dead in the water to me.

I have watched less and less of football in recent years, mostly watching college. Why, the players are in it for the team, right? I was a Seminole fan. Kinda disappointed that they were out of the final four, i would have watched the game. So boohoo, the starters mostly decided not to play, afraid they might get hurt before the NFL draft. Those players should be made to pay back money on their free ride to college.
As far as the Dolphins game goes, it was a test case on pay per view and I’m not buying. Wife tells me she already has Peacock. We’re going to have a talk about that.

Awhile back we ditched cable . Mounted a antenna on the roof , ran some cable, a spliter and booster.
2 of our TVs are roku models we pick all the free apps that interest us.
We have more to watch now than when we were hooked to cable.

I have watched less and less of football in recent years, mostly watching college. Why, the players are in it for the team, right? I was a Seminole fan. Kinda disappointed that they were out of the final four, i would have watched the game. So boohoo, the starters mostly decided not to play, afraid they might get hurt before the NFL draft. Those players should be made to pay back money on their free ride to college.
As far as the Dolphins game goes, it was a test case on pay per view and I’m not buying. Wife tells me she already has Peacock. We’re going to have a talk about that.
NCAA allows compensation to the players now. All the under the table stuff that used to happen to bribe players is now allowed.
NCAA has essentially officially decided there is too much money at stake to allow college ball to be about education first.

Yep havent had cable over 8 years. Roku and antenna

Awhile back we ditched cable . Mounted a antenna on the roof , ran some cable, a spliter and booster.
2 of our TVs are roku models we pick all the free apps that interest us.
We have more to watch now than when we were hooked to cable.
we bought our first flat screen not long ago . was a little surprised when it synced with out wi-fi internet and we viewed over 100 tv shows plus added a indoor digital antenna and got most of our local stations. we live in the sticks or we would of had more … needless to say our satellite subscription is long gone …

I listened to the Chiefs game...for free on the radio flagship website. Do you folks forget about radio feeds as a way around the Pay stuff?

As far as a nominal $5.99 to watch the game? If I went to a bar to watch the game, I'd spend a lot more than $5.99 to see the same thing and have no residual value after I left the bar so the cost really isn't the issue. I just dont want the streaming service sign up then cancel hassle.

Given the money various outlets are paying for the rights to cover the games, forget about all the games coming back to free over the air TV. Coverage and game availability is much greater via streaming with mobile mobile devices as well as the number of games available to watch.

I didn't realize we had so many entitled Gen Z "I have a right to *** so I want restraint of free trade!" members.

or is it more

"Get off my lawn" boomers?

Adapt, improvise, overcome.

I got rid of CATV years ago, and put an antenna in the attic- saved $212 per month. I get 65 channels, which are mostly garbage but get the 4 major networks. I kept the ISP through the cable company, and it's the best for $50 per month. Samsung does have 100+ channels which again most are trash but does have some music channels. I only keep Disney+ for the grandkids (wife won't let me cancel), otherwise no other streaming junk. We had Discovery + for a while but got tired of all the gay crap being pushed - they are the worst. Also you can cast whatever is on your phone directly to the TV if so desired.

You can get a digital antenna for $14 bucks and ditch cable. Mine gets about 36 channels and even HD CBS . Then I just have a firestik and you can get Pluto and Tubi apps for free . It gives you enough to watch. When I'm at my shop I turn my phone into a hotspot for my TV there since I don't have Internet there and then put on Pluto TV . They have 4-5 music channels like old MTV and I just have that on for background while I'm working on things

We used to get tv over antenna until they decided this area wasn't worth serving and closed down the tv translator. I won't buy any streaming services. If i can't get it free over roku i'm not paying for it. Don't miss tv at all. They'd have to pay me $100/hour before i'd watch some overgrown and overpaid primates chase a ball around for millions of dollars.

I listened to the Chiefs game...for free on the radio flagship website. Do you folks forget about radio feeds as a way around the Pay stuff?

As far as a nominal $5.99 to watch the game? If I went to a bar to watch the game, I'd spend a lot more than $5.99 to see the same thing and have no residual value after I left the bar so the cost really isn't the issue. I just dont want the streaming service sign up then cancel hassle.

Given the money various outlets are paying for the rights to cover the games, forget about all the games coming back to free over the air TV. Coverage and game availability is much greater via streaming with mobile mobile devices as well as the number of games available to watch.

I didn't realize we had so many entitled Gen Z "I have a right to *** so I want restraint of free trade!" members.

or is it more

Gen x’er here. I definitely don’t feel Im entitled to watch the games for free. Simply stating we used to able to watch them for free. Until broadcast figured out stupid people will gladly hand over there money to watch. If you watch it at a bar at least you maybe getting some comradery. Its the same with alot of other things. Cars are becoming the same way, you pay for say heated seats or something else installed and then they want to charge you to use them? F’off I’m not buying it. I for one will keep my money.

or is it more

LOL
Restrict free trade?
They can do whatever they want, I just don't have to buy it.
Free trade goes both ways.
No one said they have a right to it. Just that it used to be free and now it isn't and they don't like it.
So if you don't like it, you don't buy it.

That IS free trade. Like, the entire premise of it. So, not sure what you are on about.

LOL
Restrict free trade?
They can do whatever they want, I just don't have to buy it.
Free trade goes both ways.
No one said they have a right to it. Just that it used to be free and now it isn't and they don't like it.
So if you don't like it, you don't buy it.

That IS free trade. Like, the entire premise of it. So, not sure what you are on about.
You and I agree. Your post is right on point.

I’m old enough to remember when some football games would get “blacked out” in their home town. If they didn’t sell enough seats in the stadium, the game wouldn’t be broadcast in the area to encourage fans to buy tickets.
It used to happen a lot in Chicago. Fans used to go to great lengths to see games on TV. My dad was an avid ham radio operator and had an unsightly tower in our backyard to transmit to hams around the globe. As a kid I’d see a big tower in a backyard and say look dad, another ham lives there! Usually he’d say no, that tower has TV antennas on it, probably a Bears fan has that to get TV signals from Rockford or Wisconsin when the game is blacked out here. There was even an episode of Bob Newhart, where he was a shrink in Chicago, and him and his Dentist buddy he shared an office with were plotting traveling to Peoria so they could watch a blacked out Bears game.
I guess back then the NFL made plenty of money just selling tickets to games and from the networks paying them to broadcast the games. Apparently that business model doesn’t work anymore go figure.
I‘ve had trouble getting TV with antenna ever since they went digital 10 or 12 years ago even though I’m only 15 miles from Chiraq. I get some channels fine but others drop out or I can’t get at all. Sometimes when weather is windy or rainy a channel that’s usually good will drop out. I have cable in part of the house but in the kitchen I use a boosted indoor antenna. My house has real plaster walls and 6” thick ceilings with copper lines embedded in it for my radiant heat, so I am too intimidated to try to drill and fish cables through the walls to try an external antenna. The old days with analog TV was better, just a little snow on some channels.

You and I agree. Your post is right on point.
So we agree but then you have disparaging comments about boomers or gen z's because people are fed up with the subscription services and won't pay anymore?
Your comment was off base and not called for.

I poach off my son's YT Premium to get rid of the ad crap. Other than that, I get all my TV over the air. All I care about is the weather alerts and a couple of network shows. Television can vanish forever, for all I care.

Auto Transport Service
Back