• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggestions on a rear end for a 440 mag engine?

Bens69PlymouthSatellite

Local time
10:37 AM
Reaction score
I have an 8 3/4 rear end housing that I was planning on building for my rear end, but I was told recently to go to a bone yard and pull a 9 1/2 out of a truck and build that instead, my $ situation is not very good right now and I was wondering if this was a good option I'm looking at putting a 727 trans in the car w/ a 440 engine a 545 lift cam aftermarket edlbrock heads, or mopar heads w/a holley 770 cfm carb and possibly an edlbrock or weiand intake manifold so I would like to know that my rear end can withstand that kind of hp and torque that kind of combination would generate, much appreciation to whomever can answer this question.

8 3/4 would be a good rear end. dana 60 would be better but they are hard to find. i dunno bout the truck rear end. id prob just go with the 8 3/4

Dana 60s can be found under (older) trucks, but they don't have any accommodation for a pinion snubber. They can also be bought new for your application. But they're pricey and not what you want right now.

8.75 (if setup properly) should be fine. Maybe with a 4.10 in it

The truck rear end you speak of is a 9.25" and it's a good piece, but most likely won't be a bolt in, plus I think it will be to wide. Either find a good used sure grip 8.75" 3rd member or make the 9.25 fit? Another vote for the 8.75" here.

Thanks to all of u, I will probably just go through with building the 8.75 rear end a Dana 60 would be sweet but that's pricey maybe in the near future,also I didn't jump on the mopars are cool band wagon I grew up with them my dad having a 71 Plymouth cuda and my uncle having a 70 charger rt and super bee along with many others so I've been around mopar my whole life! Learning to build them is another story all together, thanks again!

With a swap to a Dana you would also need a new driveshaft. So figure that in to the cost as well

go with the 8.75. Ma put them in a gazillion muscle cars. I get so tired of hearing people trash them. You can always upgrade to billet caps and a backbrace if youre worried but i know several people in the 10s running one.

The 8 3/4" rear has three different pinion configurations.

2070741 or 1820657.....1 3/8" small stem pinion......( not recommended )
2070742.....................1 3/4" large stem pinion......( good choice )
2881489.....................1 7/8" tapered stem pinion..( best choice )

These are the casting numbers located on the drivers side (left) of the center section. If you rebuild the 3rd members, don't forget to replace the "crush sleeve" used on the tapered pinion stem, it cannot be reused.

I don't know. I had a '86W100 w/a 9 1/4" rear. The little 318 2bl blew the 3.91 posi unit apart. Broken spring pieces everywhere. I would not give a nickle for one. I'd go 9" first.
8 3/4 or Dana 60

Auto Transport Service
Back