• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Summit in tank fuel pump kit.

The idea is great but modifying the tank and car is another story. I would rather get the tank and pump that fits the car like Holley sells and some others.

I can't do much about the factory putting them there. I will never,NEVER put an in-tank fuel pump on my hotrod!

Why? Just curious.......
I had a neat little svt contour economical daily driver with a five speed, 18"wheels, leather, lowered with koni's all around, custom exhaust, (strangely, it actually sounded good for a v6). Just a basic cheap fun car.
The first time the pump quit, I was on the fwy, on the way to my friend's house for Thanksgiving. The tow to my friend's shop, on Thanksgiving Day, and dropping the tank and a new pump was $1000.
The second time the pump quit, was about two months after the warrantee ran out. I literally gave the car away, rather than put another pump in it again, and again......and again.
I can change my external pump in ten minutes, IF it ever fails.
Two and a half years later, the contour is still sitting...... not running.

Its a interesting conversion. I'd guess a access hole in the trunk would be needed. Although it's capable of 100psi, its my understanding they all need a external regulator w a return line or they won't last long. It will only pump what your regulator is set at and you can get a regulator for most any psi.

We run the whole fuel tank from Tank's Inc in our 69. It has a walbro pump. We run 1/2 braided to and from the regulator feeding the 850 holley. I love it. Previously we had the holley red pump and a extended pick up..it still would starve even full of fuel. I never got in a 1/4 mile full pass... I ran a 12.3 and it died as soon as I shifted into drive with the holley red and coasted through the traps.. It no longer dies with the walbro...it's so much easier to push fuel then suck. Be interesting to take it back to the track.:)

The idea is great but modifying the tank and car is another story. I would rather get the tank and pump that fits the car like Holley sells and some others.
I have a brand new tank sitting around to work with, the whole switchover will get pricey so I have no problem modifying a tank to save $$$

I can't do much about the factory putting them there. I will never,NEVER put an in-tank fuel pump on my hotrod!
I get that line of thinking however it would be a hell of a lot easier to swap in my Charger than on most modern cars.

Why? Just curious.......
I've covered this elsewhere but in short I'm making this car **** fuel compliant once and for all, this is just one piece it. I see you're in Texas so you likely don't see the winter blend fuel? It's terrible about boiling in the lines.

100 psi? What do you need that for?
I was searching based on lph, according to the charts I was looking at this would be in the ballpark leaving a little extra incase I ever build the big stroker. 100 psi is very excessive even with the regulator, still looking though.
Its a interesting conversion. I'd guess a access hole in the trunk would be needed. Although it's capable of 100psi, its my understanding they all need a external regulator w a return line or they won't last long. It will only pump what your regulator is set at and you can get a regulator for most any psi.

We run the whole fuel tank from Tank's Inc in our 69. It has a walbro pump. We run 1/2 braided to and from the regulator feeding the 850 holley. I love it. Previously we had the holley red pump and a extended pick up..it still would starve even full of fuel. I never got in a 1/4 mile full pass... I ran a 12.3 and it died as soon as I shifted into drive with the holley red and coasted through the traps.. It no longer dies with the walbro...it's so much easier to push fuel then suck. Be interesting to take it back to the track.:)
That's my plan, return style regulator to keep this crap gas in motion to avoid boiling. I don't think you would need an access hole, on my Charger it's all the way in the front.

Last edited:
I had a neat little svt contour economical daily driver with a five speed, 18"wheels, leather, lowered with koni's all around, custom exhaust, (strangely, it actually sounded good for a v6). Just a basic cheap fun car.
The first time the pump quit, I was on the fwy, on the way to my friend's house for Thanksgiving. The tow to my friend's shop, on Thanksgiving Day, and dropping the tank and a new pump was $1000.
The second time the pump quit, was about two months after the warrantee ran out. I literally gave the car away, rather than put another pump in it again, and again......and again.
That's a bummer and some bad luck.

Yes, replacing an in-tank pump can be a bit of a pain in the ***. One of the keys I have heard about in tank pumps is that they rely on fuel to help keep them cool. So it is better to run the tank more on the full side than to get just a few gallons every time you are on empty. Not saying this was what happened with you, but just a general observation...

Tank’s sells the identical system as the summit link. On the system I did using the Tank’s system the fuel line added quite a bit of cost, everything added up. I used AN-8 everywhere. The extra cost to get the baffled, drop on tank seemed like an easy decision to me. The biggest problems with that system that drops that walbro pump into a stock tank is the mods to make that fit on the top of the tank, and there are no baffles in the stock tank to direct fuel to the pump to keep the suction covered all the time.

I guess it depends what HP or what you are trying to do with the car, auto cross or drag racing could be an issue keeping the pump covered with fuel. I am pretty confident the way our 550 HP charger takes off with the 4400 stall, 4.10s and 295/65r15 Mickey drag radials it needs the baffled tank. Once done it is a cheap system to keep running, the replacement pumps are only about $80 for a 255 pump, and with the door in the truck you could carry an extra pump and some tools and switch it out in about and hr out on the road. I didn’t put the door in, and have to drop the tank down to work on it. I had a line not tight initially and had to drop the tank to tighten the line. Kind of a pain, but our 69 Charger doesn’t usually go much more than 30 miles from home.

I am looking into putting another system together for our 72 Charger. Looks like Aeromotive is going to be the best choice on it. Tank’s doesn’t make a system for it. That summit retro fit intank pump probably has it’s place for a car that doesn’t have the options of buying a tank with baffles and bladders that keep the pump covered all the time.

Last edited:
I have a lift, pulling the tank is probably a 15-20 minute job tops plus in tank pumps provided you buy a good one should outlast external electric pumps. I'm on my 3rd mechanical pump so they sure aren't saving me any time on labor either, first one (Holley) was great for a few years then wouldn't deliver enough fuel at high rpm's, second one (Carter) dropped the pivot pin on the pump lever and the third (Edelbrock) is still running strong... the only one that clearly said Made in the USA.

Tank’s sells the identical system as the summit link. On the system I did using the Tank’s system the fuel line added quite a bit of cost, everything added up. The extra cost to get the baffled tanks seemed like a easy decision to me. The biggest problems with that system that drops that walbro pump into a stock tank is the mods to make that fit on the top of the tank, and there are no baffles in the stock tank to direct fuel to the pump to keep the suction covered all the time. I guess it depends what HP or what you are trying to do with the car, auto cross or drag racing could be an issue keeping the pump covered with fuel. I am pretty confident the way our 550 HP charger takes off with the 4400 stall, 4.10s and 295/65r15 Mickey drag radials it needs the baffles tank. The replacement pins are only about $80, and with the door in the truck you could carry an extra pump and some tools and switch it out in about and hr out on the road. I didn’t put the door in, and have to drop the tank down to work on it. I had a line not tight initially and had to drop the tank to tighten the line. Kind of a pain, but our 69 Charger doesn’t usually go much more than 30 miles from home.

I am looking into putting another system together for our 72 Charger. Looks like Aeromotive is going to be the best choice on it. Tank’s doesn’t make a system for it. That summit retro fit intank pump probably has it’s place for a car that doesn’t have the options of buying a tank with baffles and bladders the keep the pump covered all the time.
Yes when you compare I'm pretty sure the Summit kit is just a rebranded Tanks kit. I believe that little trough basically acts like a holding tank, instead of baffles slowing the movement of the fuel it hold X amount under acceleration? I'm also looking at the Aeromotive one as well.

I like the looks how Aeromotive does the sump on their system to keep the suction covered. I think it could drop into a stock tank and not have any issues. The little tray on the tank’s system doesn’t look like it would keep the suction covered very well, but that is likely more of an issue with a FI system instead of a carb. I think the fuel delivery and dependability for that system your looking at is worlds apart better than the majority of mechanical fuel pumps.

Last edited:
I agree the Summit in-tank kit looks like a Tanks, Inc. setup. I personally enjoy the whole replacement tank they offer - I installed one in our '69 Charger and enjoy the following benefits:
  • Being the car is (Sadly) not driven often, we can now avoid the problems associated from the fuel evaporating from the bowels and leaving that sticky varnish to gum up the works. When pulling it in the garage, I can turn the pump off and leave it running - and let the carburetor "Run out of gas".
  • Similar to the above, starting the car is a simple matter - Turn the key to run, let the pump run for about 5 seconds before cranking to re-fill the bowels, pump the accelerator 2x, and it instantly fires up!
  • Additional Anti-theft aspects - With a fuel pump relay involved, very easy to hide a switch or other trigger device to enable/disable the pump. At the very least would slow the a hole down.
I opted for the new tank. I ordered direct from Tanks Inc., as our original needed replaced anyway, but summit has them as well.

Views of the tank outside. Pump on the left & Sender on the right were included.
OutsideView.jpg

Here is the inside view taken from the filler tube inlet and is, well, pretty cool!
InsideView.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back