• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super stock spring weights

I am also trying to figure out SS spring weight ratings. I have a '66 Coronet that I originally bought 3800# springs for, but have since changed to 3600# which seem to work better (automatic trans/footbrake). Now I am scrounging parts for a '63 Belvedere post which will be a hard launching 4-speed car. Normally I would consider 3400#-rated springs with an automatic, but could I magically have the right springs with the 3800# leftovers?

Back in the '70's I spent lots of time playing with springs for my '65 Coronet. I watched what the different Mopar's used and how their suspension worked/reacted.
I would expect that your '66 Coronet would work really well with 3600# springs. But for a '63 with a 4 spd I'd try something like the 002-003 springs. That's a 4 spd spring stack.
With my '65 Coronet I eventually copied a buddy's 002-003 springs except using the stock oddball main leaf (21" front half). Worked great. 550 HP, nearly stick shift like launch with 8 3/4" convertor. Take a good look at the 3000# springs.

In my experience the lightest spring that maintains the ride height you want works the best. Cut the rubber bump stops for the front upper control arms down to about 3/4" tall to gain more front end travel.

In my experience the lightest spring that maintains the ride height you want works the best. Cut the rubber bump stops for the front upper control arms down to about 3/4" tall to gain more front end travel.

It's not only the ride height that matters, it's matching the response of the leaf spring/shock combination to the torque that is applied to them. The desired ride height is adjusted by changing the spring arch not the spring stack design.

Auto Transport Service
Back