• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Supercharging

prhousejr

Local time
3:41 PM
Reaction score
My 1968 satellite has a stock 318 in it. I was reading a story about supercharging stock engines, and getting like 40-70% more horses. I know that low compression engines are the best for supercharging, and the 318 is a low compression engine. Paxton makes an under the hood type supercharger for small block carbureted Mopars for around 2800. Would it be worth it? Or should I go with something else? Just looking for future options, and curious what you vetran engine builders think.

Would be more even tempered and easier on the street than a 360 crate, but that's just about what $2800 will buy you. Build a big block for that as well (course then you'd have to swap trannies too)

Would be more even tempered and easier on the street than a 360 crate, but that's just about what $2800 will buy you. Build a big block for that as well (course then you'd have to swap trannies too)

See that is kinda what I thought. I want drivability plus getty up. I think my 318 rebuilt, with a mild rv-ish type cam, intake, carb, headers, and a small supercharger would be kinda cool. Part of me wants the big block, and part of me wants to keep this car all together with all the original parts, and I am not that crazy about having to change transmissions even though it is not that big of a deal.

WOW, I didn't know Paxton was still around. It was them and McCoullak (sp) in the 50s and 60s that were either factory or dealer installed on many cars of the day.

I had a factory supercharged 1963 Studebaker Avanti back in the late 70s. It was a 289 CID and ran about like a 327/350 h.p.

Since I'm gonna mention something off color as it were I'm gonna whisper.....

I keep hoping the Ford Motorsport Fairy is gonna show up one of these days and slip a supercharger under the hood of my S-197

That any better?????:edgy:

A supercharger, Paxton style set up will deliver about a 40% increase on the stock engine. A set of headers will add about another 10% or so. To obtain 70%, look for a deadacded supercharger based engine rebuild to the highest levels of such type builds.

Auto Transport Service
Back