• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superior Chrome("Lets see all the cool 66-67 b-body mopar pictures.!!" won't open)

Dako

Local time
3:17 AM
Reaction score
I can't seem to get the last page of "Lets see all the cool 66-67 b-body mopar pictures.!!" to open. I keep getting an error that reads: Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/bbody/public_html/moparforum/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 23 Anobody else getting this?

I had said I would post photos of some of the work I had done by Superior Chrome out of Houston. You can judge their quality yourself.

1st 2 photos show 'nodules' on the mount studs and edges of letters I had mentioned
3rd photo shows the chroming right over the foil decal in the hood ornament. I had asked if I should remove it prior to sending and Bobby said it wasn't needed, that they would clean/ prep everything prior to plating.
4th photo is what it looked like under the decal once I removed it.
5th photo is the fender badge where the 'Belvedere' insert goes. The reason the inset area looks uneven is because they did not remove the old adhesive prior to plating. There are also 'nodules' around the 'II' area.

When I asked Bobby about what I saw as imperfections, he stated that for $700 I should not expect museum pieces, but more like 10 footer pieces. I told him if this was the kind of work his shop put out and stood behind that I would be sure and pass on to anybody who wanted to know, where I had my pot metal chroming done.

$700 got the following pot metal pieces re-chromed:
8 hood letters
2 Belvedere II fender badges
2 V-8 fender badges
2 C-Pillar base pieces
Hood ornament and base plate
Gas cap and 'handle'
Faux gas cap handle on passenger side of car

I have since seen repopped hood letters for $80 a set and C-pillar pieces re-popped for around $70. If anybody has had pot metal peices re-chromed and are happy with their results, please share.

Attachments

• Pot metal chrome 010.jpg
    Pot metal chrome 010.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 446
  • Pot metal chrome 011.jpg
    Pot metal chrome 011.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 427
  • Pot metal chrome 015.jpg
    Pot metal chrome 015.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 425
  • Pot metal chrome 016.jpg
    Pot metal chrome 016.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 423
  • Pot metal chrome 023.jpg
    Pot metal chrome 023.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 391
never seen any that bad , I`ve always had real good work by the plater up here,sorry you had a result like that .:eusa_think:

I didn't know you could re-plate pot-metal. Not that I've heard you can't, I just didn't know you could.

Ugh.

For $700, I would expect you to take 2 mnutes to remove the foil.

'Superior" is clearly "inferior".

I have heard that pot metal can be tricky to replate...especially if it has corrosion. But I thought it would result in showing the uneven surface, so a finished piece may not look smooth. I'm no plater', but wonder if the 'nodules' are a result of the parts not being properly cleaned...being left in too long...not grounded well enough (the wire attaching the letters together had a great finish to it!)...or if the chemical tanks were dirty? All of these possibilities were posed to Bobby and he did not say 'Yay or 'Nay to any of them...just that for what I paid I wasn't getting 'museum pieces'. What is a museum piece anyway?

One thing was proven, anything CAN BE plated! Decals...dirt...old adhesive...painted surfaces...

Hopefully I have saved someone some heart ache.

BTW: is anybody else having trouble with the "Lets see all the cool 66-67 b-body mopar pictures.!!" thread? I can get every page to open except for the last page. :dontknow:

BTW: is anybody else having trouble with the "Lets see all the cool 66-67 b-body mopar pictures.!!" thread? I can get every page to open except for the last page. :dontknow:

Page 51 appears to be broken.

Sucks about your $700 loss here! :eusa_doh:

Man-oh-man, that looks like $#!+. Sorry to see you lose all that hard earned cash. I'd be posting those pics on all the "bodies-only" sites, any any other Mopar sites you can think of. Hell I'd even email them to all the Mopar magazines. That shop should be ashamed of themself for putting out that kind of work.

Wylde1.

That is pathetic, thanks for the heads up. Those guys at Superior are just LAZY to LAZY to prep their work and do a decent Job. That Sucks.

Ron

Did you use a credit card to pay them? If you did, file a claim with your CC Co. for shabby work. That should get their attention.

Auto Transport Service
Back