• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sure grip advice

hemiEssex

Local time
1:56 AM
Reaction score
So on the weekend we were running our 68 Moncaco demo car and I am in the pits talking to other drivers and there is a guy who is running this 1970 chrysler something or other, I ask him if he knows of any Sure grip diffs as he has alot of mopars. He says sure and hands me one out of the back of his truck, this one is a sure grip i think, just threw it in as a spare, its yours. With my hands shaking I grab her up and bring it home. He tells me that it was in a running car and that both wheels locked up and that the diff had no noises and the fluid was a good color with no metal. Car had 70 thousand something miles on it. The teeth are excellent with no chips etc. I want to use it in my 65 Coronet. It is a 489 casting with the Auburn style cone sure grip. My question is: can I just give her a good cleaning in the parts washer and then install it and run her, our should I take it apart to clean it?? Can I get it clean without taking it all apart?? Bearings seem good, lash is good, any advice for this particular rear end. It will be on a street driven car and may see the odd burnout but it won't be a race car. Only thing is that the yoke is missing and I have the correct one so I am going to buy a pinion seal and crush sleeve. What is the torque specs for the yoke??
cheers
Steve

I'd run it through the parts washer and go. IIRC, no need for any special additives since it's a cone-style.

I don't have the torque specs, but the 489 uses a crush sleeve. Most will say a new crush sleeve needs to be installed and the yoke properly torqued, or else you run the risk of destroying parts. This is especially true since the yoke is currently missing and no baseline can be measured. It's a gamble to simply put the new yoke on.

Get the solid sleeve replacement instead of the crush sleeve. Makes life alot easier.

This thread is a little old....but have you done anything with this yet?

Auto Transport Service
Back