• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspension height

Mackman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:24 PM
Reaction score
This has been talked about a ton, but here's the story. Last summer I adjusted the ride height on my 67 R/T. Got it to the recommended height difference of 1 7/8" between the lower steering knuckle and the adjusting blade. At that time, the height of the wheel well molding at the center of the opening above the floor was 25". Over the winter I dropped the k frame/engine/trans out the bottom to rebuild all. I replaced all suspension components with a package from PST. Ball joints, tie rods, pitman, upper control arms, and all bushings. Put it all back in, and adjusted the ride height to FSM specs today. Low and behold, the front end is now very high, 27" at the wheel well. I lowered the torsion bar adjustment until it was back to 25" at the wheel well, and the height difference measurement between the adjusting blades and the steering knuckle, is zero. What's up?

By the way, this picture of my R/T is with the height at 25". And I do know body measurements are not the proscribed method.

Did you loosen the upper control arm bushings before setting the ride height with the torsion bars? If you don't, the bushings will work against the lowering of the torsion bars causing the ride to sit higher than it should. At least on other rigs i've worked on this is the case.

Auto Transport Service
Back