• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swapping a Holley onto a Poly

DWinTX

Local time
5:15 AM
Reaction score
Hey, it rhymes!

We're doing a cam/intake/carb upgrade on my son's 318 poly/727 65 Coronet. We're going from a stock 2-BBL setup to the Holley on top of a Weiand 7503. Can anyone tell me what I'm going to have to do to hook up the throttle cable and kickdown lever? I saw that Holley has some Chrysler adapters:

http://www.holley.com/20-7.asp

http://www.holley.com/20-67.asp

Looks like this allows the accelerator cable end to hook to the carb, but I'm still not sure how the accelerator cable housing is secured to the manifold or how the kickdown lever hooks up. I've seen that Bouchillon stuff mentioned, do I have to have that to replace the existing kickdown, or is there a way to use the stock one?

On another note, can someone confirm that the 318 poly uses the LA engine timing set? I think I've read that before but I want to make sure before I order one. Thanks.

Been years since I have the Holly on my baby but ill talk to my husband and see if he can rembeber what we did when we had it on.

Yes the Timing chains and sprocket are the same as the LA motors
this link is for a site that has lots of great info. and a list of interchangable parts
http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/poly318.html

Thanks Christine. I've seen that site before, but missed the interchange.

My application was for an Edelbrock AVS 650, but I think yours will be basically the same.

I used my original kick down/ throttle cable mount with a cast iron 4bbl manifold. You would need to put yours in place and see if there is sufficient clearance on the aluminum manifold.

I fabricated an 'extension' to hold the throttle cable case closer to the carb. I made this this using some 1 inch angle iron stock; a saws-all; drill and some jewelers files (to recreate the slot); a vice and a hammer. Oh, and I ground off the sharp edge on the angle iron so it matches the rest of the bends in the original mount. Incorporated a slight 'dog leg' in the bracket to get the cable up off the back of the original mount bracket.

You will need to move the cable from the inside of the old mount to the outside of the new mount since the 4bbl is wider.

You will also need to remove some of the bends in the kick-down linkage and add about 2 inches to it. I spliced (welded) in a piece of bolt shank, but others have simply used a threaded sleeve and added threaded stock (or cut off bolt) to get the added length.

DSC_0610.jpgDSC_0611.jpgDSC_0612.jpg

That's a pretty nice fab job, Dako. I thought about doing that as well. The tough part is that this Weiand has no bolt holes back near the throttle/kickdown area. I'd have to run it off the rear carb-to-intake stud or figure something else out.

That's a pretty nice fab job, Dako. I thought about doing that as well. The tough part is that this Weiand has no bolt holes back near the throttle/kickdown area. I'd have to run it off the rear carb-to-intake stud or figure something else out.

The kickdown bracket mounts to the manifold using the manifold bolts...the last (aft) two bolts that mount the manifold to the head.

Auto Transport Service
Back