• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sway Bar Stabilizer Link interchange?

pdiz

Local time
9:53 AM
Reaction score
Just for the record, '75-later B-body stabilizer links such as the Rare Parts RP18110 or the NAPA 265-1931 are not quite the same as for '73-'74 B-Bodies as the stem is just a tad too long. Nowhere did anyone say it would, but the part looked the same so I decided to take a chance. That being said, I presume I can't run the longer ones because my suspension will be out of whack and not line up? Anyone know where I can find the correct ones? I have a bent stem on one side and I guess I can just try to straighten it with a torch and a vice? Running all rubber MOOG parts on mine and they don't have the actual arm, just the bushings/washers/spacers/nuts. See attached photo; OEM on the left, '75-later B-Body on the right.

RP18110.JPG

You could shorten and reweld that shaft with no issues. V it down get a good weld in there 2 minutes on a linishing belt and all done.

Ugh, I guess I need to learn to weld. No one is reproducing these, apparently...

Just for the record, '75-later B-body stabilizer links such as the Rare Parts RP18110 or the NAPA 265-1931 are not quite the same as for '73-'74 B-Bodies as the stem is just a tad too long. Nowhere did anyone say it would, but the part looked the same so I decided to take a chance. That being said, I presume I can't run the longer ones because my suspension will be out of whack and not line up? Anyone know where I can find the correct ones? I have a bent stem on one side and I guess I can just try to straighten it with a torch and a vice? Running all rubber MOOG parts on mine and they don't have the actual arm, just the bushings/washers/spacers/nuts. See attached photo; OEM on the left, '75-later B-Body on the right.

View attachment 718109
I 'think' if you use the new parts on both sides, you may be okay if both sides are equal. The swaybar only effects bodyroll, and shouldn't alter your suspension.

From what I have experienced the sway bar should be parallel to the ground with the vehicle at ride height. Set up like this it will move through the smallest arc as the suspension moves up.

So mine is only slightly bent, should I just use it (obviously with new bushings)?

If I use the slightly longer part, it will probably no longer allow the sway bar to go through the K-member! Funny thing is, apparently even the '73-74 Charger used the longer ones, but I thought it would be the same as '73-74 Road Runner. So either they don't really work with the '73-74 Charger and all the books are wrong, or the suspension is slightly different, but that seems very strange! It's also not a big block versus small block thing, they simply state they don't fit. That being said, it states it DOES fit '73-74 Satellite. I'm so confused.

Last edited:
I don't think it's an actual Chrysler part, he may be buying them as needed. Zooming in on the box shows McQuay-Norris FA1672.
A search of that number gets a lot of hits.

I don't think it's an actual Chrysler part, he may be buying them as needed. Zooming in on the box shows McQuay-Norris FA1672.
A search of that number gets a lot of hits.

For sale? If you are seeing them actually available at a reasonable price please link.

That FA1672 E-bay link you posted, look closely, the stem between head and bottom bushing is about 3 1/4". So, it may SEEM dead on to our '73-'74 Road Runners, it's not. Same as the Rare Parts one I bought, a tad too long. There's also a NAPA part (old stock) floating around E-bay as well. All apparently are too long for a '73 Road Runner since, well, I bought one and can see it is. It even says it's not compatible with a '73 Road Runner. Or even '74 Road Runner. It claims it will fit a '73-'74 Charger and '73-'74 Satellite, though, not sure if that's an error. Weird that. The REAL application is PROBABLY more likely a full size (C-body) or '75-later B-Body.

That FA1672 E-bay link you posted, look closely, the stem between head and bottom bushing is about 3 1/4". So, it may SEEM dead on to our '73-'74 Road Runners, it's not. Same as the Rare Parts one I bought, a tad too long. There's also a NAPA part (old stock) floating around E-bay as well. All apparently are too long for a '73 Road Runner since, well, I bought one and can see it is. It even says it's not compatible with a '73 Road Runner. Or even '74 Road Runner. It claims it will fit a '73-'74 Charger and '73-'74 Satellite, though, not sure if that's an error. Weird that. The REAL application is PROBABLY more likely a full size (C-body) or '75-later B-Body.

EDIT: Dammit, if you read the E-bay ad, it DOES say '73-'74 Road Runner, but if you "plug in" your vehicle as such, it says not compatible. So, uh, ugh... Maybe mine came from the factory TOO short? lol

Okay, I guess I'm an idiot, I think I figured it all out...

Although the stem length IS different on the aftermarket part, if you hang them from the middle of the four donuts (to simulate where it mounts to the frame), the bushings are not as thick so that the sway bar part hangs at pretty much the same length.

So in other words, if you buy JUST the bushings from someone and attempted to put them on it, there's a good chance it will cause the part not to fit or fit improperly (aka cause the sway bar to hang too low). If you just roll with the bushings they give you (which is new old stock that's been sitting on the shelve for decades, mind you, and may need bushings, but that's another story), it will probably fit just fine.

So in 10 years when you go to replace the bushings, just remember the mounting points are different and not to blame your new MOOG replacement bushings for being the wrong size.

And now I can finally sleep at night.

And to further kick the dead horse, Chrysler part # 03402949 is the correct OEM part and has the correct length for MOOG replacement bushings.

Did you ever check with Firm Feel to see if they will sell you just the links? I may end up bugging them for just the k-member plates.

Auto Transport Service
Back