• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sylvania Replacement Headlight prongs wont go all the way on.

dave's not here

Local time
5:12 PM
Reaction score
Another rocking Saturday night in the dark :)

Has anyone else had this condition? I dont know if its these tiny little nubs on the prongs holding them up but....
headlight.jpg

It's on all prongs so its intentional. H5001 & h5006 respectively. Just noticed the new prongs are a half inch longer. A stopper of some kind.
Black tape here we come :)

I don't think tape will help long term. Too much heat. Maybe just trim some off with tin snips

Is just like that. It doesn't go more than that. Note the sealed beam pins are long. The prongs are deeper into them than older versions, which demands also longer prongs, but female plug/terminals accept what it takes into them and not more.

B8AZ-13007-B.jpg

Actually you don't need to worry about that. If you had to get worried about that, you should be worried also about the batt post, or starter relay stud, or starter motor studs. Every one of them are exposed the same or even more.

Last edited:
But can you install the bulb in the housing when the plug is so far back?
Thats what I thought would be the problem.

Is just like that. It doesn't go more than that. Note the sealed beam pins are long. The prongs are deeper into them than older versions, which demands also longer prongs, but female plug/terminals accept what it takes into them and not more.

View attachment 1210044

Actually you don't need to worry about that. If you had to get worried about that, you should be worried also about the batt post, or starter relay stud, or starter motor studs. Every one of them are exposed the same or even more.

I'm also acccutely worrrried about those samme issues especially the batt post, starter motor and relay stuuds beeeing exposed the samme orr even more (than ???). Too much is sometimes worse than not enough.....especially with regard to consenents.
BOB RENTON

But can you install the bulb in the housing when the plug is so far back?
Thats what I thought would be the problem.
Same here and would be my only concern.
As long as the connection is tight. I dont see an issue

Auto Transport Service
Back