• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake lights stay on randomly

Palmer

Local time
2:01 AM
Reaction score
Car is a 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner

So, last Saturday my battery died in the middle of the night. Checked the radio, everything else. Come to find out, it was the brake lights.

So I finally got it to do it again(as it does it randomly when I shut the car off). I played with the parking brake, nothing. I tapped on the brake pedal a little, and it shut off(all while the key is out of the ignition and everything is completely off).

Another side note, the brake light in the dash comes on when I go to the floor(maybe this is normal). I'm new to older vehicles, I typically work on vehicles 2000+

Thanks guys

Brake light on dash usually means one of 2 things.

1.Parking brake is engaged
2.Brake fluid level is low.

As for the brake lights staying on You should check the switch on the brake pedal. See if its hanging up or sticking. When its pressed in the lights go off. When you release it by pressing the brake pedal the lights come on. A bad switch or improperly set switch will cause this to happen. Cheap enough to fix.

Brake light on dash usually means one of 2 things.

1.Parking brake is engaged
2.Brake fluid level is low.

As for the brake lights staying on You should check the switch on the brake pedal. See if its hanging up or sticking. When its pressed in the lights go off. When you release it by pressing the brake pedal the lights come on. A bad switch or improperly set switch will cause this to happen. Cheap enough to fix.

[/URL]
I will try all of that, thank you so much man

Auto Transport Service
Back