• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tach Drive Distributor -- How'd You Run the Cable?

CudaChick1968

Leanna ~ The Mistress of Metal
FBBO Sponsor
Local time
12:25 AM
Reaction score
The car is a 1964 Fury with a 440. The only place to mount the tach is on the dash.

Where did you run the cable? It needs a healthy opening (5/8"?) but drilling a big hole through the dashboard is something I'd rather avoid if possible. I'd love to see how you guys did yours.

Here's a few pics of the car simply because I know how you are. :carrot:Thanks for any input and pictures might have!

20230215_150442.jpg20230215_150522.jpg20230401_163223.jpg20230401_163239.jpg

I think you can get by with a 3/8" hole; grommet size may drive the hole size decision.
On my ex-Hamburger Duster, the cable went through the firewall, up through a defroster vent, and the tach was screwed to the dash pad.
I changed that setup & replaced the dash pad & mounted an AutoMeter tach (with shift light) off the left rollbar down tube.
I would think the steering column on your car is a less-invasive location, but in period, folks did screw their tachs atop the dash.
I came to like the shift light, though I quickly learned the pitch of the engine @ 7500 & 8000 and I'd shift by ear @ the same time the light came on.

My tach cable runs through an existing hole in the firewall just left of the mc, then through the defrost vent.
I took the end off the cable to route it to the tach then reinstalled the end.
I used a sleeve to clean up the tach cable, shift light wires and tach light wire.
IMG_1636.jpeg

Back drive or bottom drive tach? It makes a difference.
Also, big face moroso, small face (probably a Jones Motrola), or a Stewart Warner?
I mounted my bottom drive to the side of the instrument cluster, with the cable routed under the dash. Homemade bracket. My backdrive was mounted and routed very similar to 65 Hemi's.

Last edited:
@Budnicks

Still have the itch fer racin?? :poke:
sort of, but just not that combo...
too far away too

cool car, just not my style or engine etc.

getting to old for that travel & living out of a suitcase
on the road for 3 day a week at a min.
& the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ spent
I like not being away from home, every weekend 11 months a year...

I almost bought my buddies 27 Brogie Altered,
fully suspended 4 link & coil overs, 8' wheelie bars, 15x33" Hoosiers
with a N/A 499cid 1300hp/glide...
sort of a mild-ish all alum. older pro-stock combo, with split dominators
I could have got it, the whole car, turnkey, for the price of the engine

I'm not sure I want that much grief in my life right now
Not with my aging dad (can't trust left alone)
& I'd miss my dog etc.

"sort of"
like this one, but about a second & a 1/2 quicker & 30+ mph faster
27 Ford T Brogie Altered S-C (2).jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back