• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tach Mount - Guage Cup Question

HYRDGOON

Local time
6:33 PM
Reaction score
So here's my dilemma...

Some time ago I ordered a tach that I really liked the look of from Stewart Warner. It was shown as "universal installation" not "in-dash" so I assumed it had a mounting cup to be pedestal mounted.

http://www.summitracing.com/dom/parts/sww-82162b/overview/

It sat on my shelf for a while and I just realized that I can't steering wheel mount... I've been in touch with SW and they don't sell a universal mounting cup for this application/size

I did however find 2 others (autometer and VDO)

http://www.summitracing.com/dom/parts/vdo-240018/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/dom/parts/atm-5204/overview/

Does anyone know if these would be brand specific or should I have no problem putting my SW in here... I figure 3 3/8 is 3 3/8 but just not sure if I'm missing anything before I order up.

Thanks!

I think you'd be fine with either cup. I have used the 2" autometer cups for various brand gauges and they all fit fine. One comment about that VDO cup. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the mounting bracket mounts to the very rear of the cup. If that's the case, the full weight of the gauge will be cantilevered and cause the gauge to shake like hell while going down the road. I'd go with the autometer, I have 5 of them in my car (like I said, the smaller cups) and they are top quality.

- - - Updated - - -

One note, I just mounted my AEM wide and A/F gauge and it was just a hair larger diameter than the cup, so I had to make some small adjustments to get it to fit just right, I suppose you could have a similar issue, bit this was the only gauge I've ever needed to do that for.

I think you'd be fine with either cup. I have used the 2" autometer cups for various brand gauges and they all fit fine. One comment about that VDO cup. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the mounting bracket mounts to the very rear of the cup. If that's the case, the full weight of the gauge will be cantilevered and cause the gauge to shake like hell while going down the road. I'd go with the autometer, I have 5 of them in my car (like I said, the smaller cups) and they are top quality.

- - - Updated - - -

One note, I just mounted my AEM wide and A/F gauge and it was just a hair larger diameter than the cup, so I had to make some small adjustments to get it to fit just right, I suppose you could have a similar issue, bit this was the only gauge I've ever needed to do that for.

Thanks HT413! I was leaning towards the autometer anyways just because I can buy it locally (and on sale today only!) Hopefully this will work because I was about to buy a new tach and use that SW as a paperweight!

Auto Transport Service
Back