• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taking Fedex to Small Claims Court

sam dupont

Local time
7:12 AM
Reaction score
After playing their game with a computerized phone system and representatives that barely speak English, my blood pressure is high as it needs to go.

I made the mistake of hiring FedEx to ship a package for me they lost it. They did a trace for a couple hours and denied my claim saying I never dropped it off in the first place.

Their customer service is designed to frustrate and make you finally say it's only X number of dollars, just forget it.

I had to tell a customer their one of a kind item that you can't buy at Target or anywhere else, was lost. Then FedEx denies that I ever gave it to them in the first place. They have no way to appeal their denial so I'll be printing out the paperwork from my county to sue them in small claims court. Maybe I'll lose but I've lost enough money and time already, I'm gonna lose a little more.

Sometimes people say I will never patronize that business again, and in the end they go back.
Not only won't I go back, but if I lose, I'm gonna stand in front of their express office on one of my town's main drags with a sign

After playing their game with a computerized phone system and representatives that barely speak English, my blood pressure is high as it needs to go.

I made the mistake of hiring FedEx to ship a package for me they lost it. They did a trace for a couple hours and denied my claim saying I never dropped it off in the first place.

Their customer service is designed to frustrate and make you finally say it's only X number of dollars, just forget it.

I had to tell a customer their one of a kind item that you can't buy at Target or anywhere else, was lost. Then FedEx denies that I ever gave it to them in the first place. They have no way to appeal their denial so I'll be printing out the paperwork from my county to sue them in small claims court. Maybe I'll lose but I've lost enough money and time already, I'm gonna lose a little more.

Sometimes people say I will never patronize that business again, and in the end they go back.
Not only won't I go back, but if I lose, I'm gonna stand in front of their express office on one of my town's main drags with a sign
What did they say when you gave them your tracking number???

And you have the receipt.
Was it insured for the full amount?

Well don't try to get them today, I just crashed their system it seems after spending 2 hours trying to do a 62lb shipment to Holland for $1188 ! No links work... can't even schedule the pickup.

It's likely along here somewhere, just look a little:
upload_2022-1-21_11-55-18.png

I dropped it, as I have for years, at a Pac 'n Mail. The gals there are very conscientious. It's not the kind of place where it could grow legs, either. Fedex does not have a record as they no longer scan when they pick up at substations. Isn't that special?

In 20 years, this is my fourth claim. One they delivered to an address that didn't exist: CLAIM DENIED. For $50, I let it go. Two damages: they paid.

They put a trace on it yesterday afternoon and this morning: CLAIM DENIED
I have spent $50,000 at Fedex and this is how they treat me. They better make the $100 last, I won't patronize them again.

It's going to take some effort and $100 isn't worth it, but they need it, win or lose. At least I will be able to tell my buyer I made Fedex pay a little.

Well don't try to get them today, I just crashed their system it seems after spending 2 hours trying to do a 62lb shipment to Holland for $1188 ! No links work... can't even schedule the pickup.

If you can't have success in two hours, that might be a warning. If it's valuable, I would be looking for another shipper. Fedex can't be trusted.

I hate Fed Ex as well but UPS or USPS isn't much better.

This might be a dumb idea but have you contacted Pac 'n Mail to see if maybe they have it in a corner somewhere? might be worth a try.

If they're going to be ******** then it's alright for the gloves to come off. Order something expensive and make sure they ship with fedex and insure. When they drop it off and you don't "get it", tell them a porch pirate must have taken it.

Hate to say, but I never did like FedEx! Service is terrible here. They might take a week to deliver a package that is on the truck for delivery. And no phone calls to meet them or have it dropped off at another address! They suck! rant over. ruffcut
Anyway, Sam, good luck and hope you win. It won't affect them as far as fixing the way they operate.

Sounds to me that your problem is with pac n mail. How can they not scan it. Some how the place you dropped it off at missed the ball. I prefer to go direct to fedex or ups vs these drop off points. Had one package get screwed up because they chose another shipper. Found that out when my tracking number did not jive?

I get a receipt with tracking every single time I ship something, no matter the courier.

I expect Fedex to put it on the Pac n Mail, but they are representative of Fedex. Fedex chooses to use them, and with that comes responsibility.
I'm glad someone mentioned that. I will amend the Claim I am writing to point out that they are Fedex's reps.

My Claim so far:

I left a package at Pac and Mail, an official representative of FedEx. FedEx picked it up at 4 PM as always, and proceeded to lose it. After a lengthy and frustrating two hours on the phone working though their system, I was able to file a claim. I was told a trace would be put on the package. One day later when I called, no trace had been put on the package, but they said there would be.

Less than 12 hours later the claim was denied. FedEx has no way to appeal the denial so that brings me to small claims court.

FedEx stopped scanning packages that they pick up from their sub stations, so they have no record of it. I have no proof that I dropped it off, just like the hundreds of packages I have dropped off in the past. Fedex chooses to use these drop off stations as their representatives and it is their responsibility to make sure their practices are adequate. Fedex chose to stop scanning at these satellite locations, the responsibility is theirs.

I do not believe it to be a coincidence that FedEx's claim system tires and frustrates the consumer. I believe their goal is to make me walk away from my loss just as I did the time they delivered a package to the wrong address and denied my claim.

If there is an avenue for applying punitive damages, I ask the court to please do so. Fedex should not be rewarded for recklessly not scanning packages at pick-up, and having a claim system that frustrates consumers.

Am I forgetting anything?

We need to start a new delivery service called FedUp I have all delivery services they over charge and are lazy

I believe the proper legal term is "agent".

They were acting as an agent of Fedex, when they received your package.

If you've done 50K in business, why the F didn't you get receipts?

I have read of whole cars being shipped to Europe for 2 or 3 grand. I wonder if those outfits ship smaller items? I would say the risk there is insurance, but I bought insurance on my package... DENiED

FedEx is franchised/contracted out for local pickups/deliveries in some parts of the country.
Where I am is one of them. Those suckers rip up my road in some clapped out, unmarked
box van, literally toss our packages out the side door against the garage (out of the line
of sight to the house, mind you) and tear back out of here.
As a result, there's been a time or two we didn't even know they'd left anything until
discovered later on, exposed to the weather and so forth.

After having had enough of it, I caught one of them doing this once, intentionally.
We had words. A lot of them. LOUD words...
He was too busy telling me all the things they didn't have any obligation to do.
I countered with what he was going to do when on my property...
Finally went over his head and contacted his boss (franchise owner) and when that
guy gave me attitude, on I went to FedEx themselves, who promised to make corrections.

Result? Not a damn thing - except he's gotten more stealthy in his climbs up the ridge here.
I no longer do business with anyone who insists on using them; they lose a sale, too.

Auto Transport Service
Back