• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taking Up New Residence

Don’t ya just love them “pesky critters”? As Robert Duvall used to say- “I love the smell of napalm in the morning”...

They got in there before I owned the car. It has always been stored in my enclosed trailer and since I've been at this house, (knock on wood) I've never seen one. Amazing! I've never seen any signs of one in the car until today, tearing out the headliner. Had to have been a Texas mouse.

I'm still wondering what bug made those mud huts I found in the front trim.
20171118_110954.jpg

Yellow jackets or some kind of wasps. Saw a few small nests in my trunk before.

Yellow jackets or some kind of wasps. Saw a few small nests in my trunk before.

There wasn't anything in them, not even a shell from a larvae. Another Texas critter! I say that because the dealer I bought it from was in Texas. The car spent it's whole life on the west coast for the exception of him owning it for a short time.

It wasn't corduroy it was Bedford Cord (always beige) it was foam back (poluyethane) and is not available anywhere .( I know ;) ).
The plastic strips where vacuum aluminised inside (same as dash bezel, front indicator lense) .They tend to go hard over time . Again not available.
The Hardboard was a perforated untempered Masonite .Not sure this repo stuff is the same as I have not seen any.

Funny thing is you would think this car would have the bow type headliner as it was a higher quality than this hardboard type. I love the hardboard type and have everything but the poly foam.

Looking good Kid ,your pictures and all the small items really help ....can you post some pictures of all these small parts so I can identify ALL that's needed?

Last edited:
They got in there before I owned the car. It has always been stored in my enclosed trailer and since I've been at this house, (knock on wood) I've never seen one. Amazing! I've never seen any signs of one in the car until today, tearing out the headliner. Had to have been a Texas mouse.

I'm still wondering what bug made those mud huts I found in the front trim.
View attachment 540865
Mud Dobbers KK. I just cleaned some off my upper house garage storage shelves. Look like wasps.

It wasn't corduroy it was Bedford Cord (always beige) it was foam back (poluyethane) and is not available anywhere .( I know ;) ).
The plastic strips where vacuum aluminised inside (same as dash bezel, front indicator lense) .They tend to go hard over time . Again not available.
The Hardboard was a perforated untempered Masonite .Not sure this repo stuff is the same as I have not seen any.

Funny thing is you would think this car would have the bow type headliner as it was a higher quality than this hardboard type. I love the hardboard type and have everything but the poly foam.

Looking good Kid ,your pictures and all the small items really help ....can you post some pictures of all these small parts so I can identify ALL that's needed?

'62, you're the first that knows exactly what that material is called. (Bedford Cord)

The material for the hardboard that REM is making looks like this. I like the original better.
$_1 (1).JPG

I thought the bow style headliner was for the lower end vehicles and the hardboard was for the higher end? Every '62 Polara 500 that I've seen were hardboard.

As far as parts... I'm thinking these clips are used at the front edge with either style top. Four clips.
20171119_101745.jpg
Screenshot_2017-11-19-18-47-01.jpg

These rubber pieces were just pushed on. Location is where I made the arrows. 5 on each side.

Screws were for the chrome trim. All the same size. 6 on each side.
20171119_101940.jpg

Screenshot_2017-11-19-18-44-34.jpg

The hardboard clips were easy enough to bend down for the board removal so that's what I did. The factory installation probably only required bowing the board down in the center, hooking the clips, then pushing upwards to seat into place. I didn't want to chance bowing them.

6 clips on each side.
Screenshot_2017-11-19-19-39-36.jpg

Screenshot_2017-11-19-18-50-50.jpg

Screenshot_2017-11-19-18-49-01.jpg
Screenshot_2017-11-19-18-50-21.jpg

The three stainless pieces, and I use that term lightly, that divide the panels and are used to attach the plastic strips to, are fastened with Phillip screws. I've marked their location.
20171119_121024.jpg

20171118_172428.jpg
20171118_173517.jpg
20171118_171927.jpg
Screenshot_2017-11-19-18-51-52.jpg

If these pics aren't detailed enough, let me know and I'll email you a good resolution picture. They're not that crisp on here anymore. Any other questions let me know.

One more thing, did the bow type headliner use this style side trim?
20171119_190732.jpg
20171119_190602.jpg
20171119_190535.jpg

Yes I think your correct with the high level trim getting the hardboard. Yes again correct , all polara 500's got it .Those pics are terrific and now I think I have all those pieces.

polara interior pic roof.JPG

Kid im not sure about the bow type headliner ,I would assume you would use those trims.
I was given these headliner end caps but I'm not sure what part they play

clips HL.JPG

Kid im not sure about the bow type headliner ,I would assume you would use those trims.
I was given these headliner end caps but I'm not sure what part they play

View attachment 541263

I'm wondering if they are for the ends of the rods on a bow style. 4 on each side? Nothing resembling that on my top.

No these where not on mine . I purchased them thinking they may have been another piece of the puzzle...turns out they aren't:thumbsup:

you can see here the dart has the same side trim (not polished here)

i12385.jpg

Here's a pic of the bow headliner and I can see the trim is the same, just painted. They didn't use any nickel or copper under the chrome on mine. I'm probably going to have them re-chromed.
7460321-1962-dodge-dart-std-c.jpg

I'm starting to believe that there was no bow type headliner for th 62's and only these cardboard type.
Here is a very original dart 330 ,paul from NZ

I'm starting to believe that there was no bow type headliner for th 62's and only these cardboard type.
Here is a very original dart 330 ,paul from NZ

I saw that video before. Very high end interior for a 330. Deluxe steering wheel, upholstery, carpet ect. Looks like a 440 model interior. It was probably customer ordered that way.

And he stated the "cut pile" carpet. What's suppose to be correct? Every carpet outfit says 80/20 loop for '62. The only carpet left in my car was on the seat backs and the console. Looks closer to cut pile than loop.

A shout out to @FU64RY for stopping by today and giving me a hand installing the hood. My new neighbor just happened to be home also, so we got her done. I wasn't about to try it without three of us. (waiting on clips for the trim piece)
20171119_205044.jpg

20171119_120152.jpg

Last edited:
And the next question is, how much room do you have under the hood to the air cleaner? Well just get out your handy dandy cell phone!

Auto Transport Service
Back