• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Talladega or Bust - 1970 Super Bird Cleanup

Tested the switch again in neutral, park and reverse for proper function before closing things up.
superbirdspring2022leaks 152.jpg

Almost put the pan on without the filter, that would have involved some curse words.
superbirdspring2022leaks 154.jpg

Specs say bare, some same sealant, I'll go 25% with a light line of aviation sealant around the outer edge of the pan only.
superbirdspring2022leaks 156.jpg

Gasket in place and bolts threaded into the gasket.
superbirdspring2022leaks 158.jpg

Pan in place, all bolts 150 in lbs.
superbirdspring2022leaks 160.jpg

Shifter and throttle levers back in place.
superbirdspring2022leaks 165.jpg

Torque converter cover back on.
superbirdspring2022leaks 167.jpg

Shifter shaft bracket back in place and console shifter tested for function and again if it'll start in neutral and park, as well as reverse lights in reverse.
superbirdspring2022leaks 168.jpg

Rocker cover gaskets are leaking and I've got to keep reminding myself I'm trying to get it ready for Spring cruising and not starting a restoration.
superbirdspring2022leaks 173.jpg

Correct '70 rocker covers vs the '71's that are on the engine.
superbirdspring2022leaks 189.jpg

Last edited:
Quick 320 sand and degreased
superbirdspring2022leaks 201.jpg

The old plasti dip. Had to thin it a bit with Toluol but still usable.
superbirdspring2022leaks 204.jpg

Cut down a pill bottle and filled to dip the wiring tabs.
superbirdspring2022leaks 209.jpg

All coated and the smears easily roll off a few minutes later.
superbirdspring2022leaks 214.jpg

Primed with some high build Duplicolor Enamel.
superbirdspring2022leaks 220.jpg

Hemi Orange Duplicolor Enamel and of course I ran out after Carquests hours. Might be a 7 day wait to 2nd coat now, that and the colour isn't to my liking either.
superbirdspring2022leaks 235.jpg

Not the first time I've been pissed with Duplicolor primer and their paint not liking each other. I may learn some day and why I'm not a painter.
superbirdspring2022leaks 226.jpg

Last edited:
Wayne, my Coronet backup lights flicker when I shift the 727 into reverse. Is there a trick to adjusting the linkage to make the lights stay on in reverse?

Wayne, my Coronet backup lights flicker when I shift the 727 into reverse. Is there a trick to adjusting the linkage to make the lights stay on in reverse?
I'd try snugging the switch up first, it may just need that little bit more in to actuate smoothly. If not, loose wiring plug or valve body or comb not lined up smoothly. FSM states to make sure the switch operates smoothly before tightening the valve body.

I'd try snugging the switch up first, it may just need that little bit more in to actuate smoothly. If not, loose wiring plug or valve body or comb not lined up smoothly. FSM states to make sure the switch operates smoothly before tightening the valve body.
Uncle Bill rebuilt it but I reinstalled it. So, I probably didn't do that right. Can it be corrected next time I drop the pan?

Like I said, try giving the switch a snug first. Make sure the plug is seated nicely while you're under there. You could also put a meter on it and shift the gears while there..

I like the Bill Hirsch Auto paints but the’ve gotten very pricey. I haven’t had any luck with Duplicolor primer. I use an aerosol self etching primer that I get locally. The duplicolor top coat goes over nicely.

Line separation not going well.. break out the gas wrench.

Got a bit stupid and didn't give a lot of thought to heating the metal hose end to get it to let go of the hard line. Only took about 1/2 an hour for my hearing to come back after the hose exploded and fortunately I missed the hot DOT 3 bath.

But what was left of the hose then let go and it was a smoking success!

The drivers side the tube nut was already round and it wasn't coming out. Fortunately it's a really short line and the inner end came out of the splitter block easily so I could remove the line.

Made a new line from a fresh one I had in the tool box and then I just HAD to make it look like OEM.

40 minutes of wrapping safety wire, some day I'll learn to leave well enough alone.

Dorman H35017, a correctly fitting and length replacement flex hose from the hard line at the frame to the Kelsey/Hayes caliper.

Drivers side back together and pretending to be OEM.

View attachment 779546 View attachment 779547 View attachment 779548 View attachment 779549 View attachment 779550 View attachment 779551 View attachment 779552 View attachment 779553
I have had that same thing happen to me, heating a brake fitting only I got the hot spray on me. Happens to the best of us.
That brake line guard, the coil slid over the line, is available through dorman or one of the brake supply places. I used to use it a lot before the repro lines came out.

I like the Bill Hirsch Auto paints but the’ve gotten very pricey. I haven’t had any luck with Duplicolor primer. I use an aerosol self etching primer that I get locally. The duplicolor top coat goes over nicely.
Nobody can/will ship us paint North of the border.... other than Amazon gets away with it!

Found the primer to actually go with the engine enamel.
superbirdspring2022leaks 253.jpg

All over town to find one can only in CTC.
superbirdspring2022leaks 254.jpg

Sanded out the fish eyes and took a chance the fresh paint wouldn't curdle and got lucky. A few layers of primer to smooth some spots out and then waited to paint. Almost missed my "window" digging out the fuel truck.
superbirdspring2022leaks 240.jpg

Hose is a PITA on the lift as a trip point, but my Pepsi habit to the rescue.
superbirdspring2022leaks 241.jpg

Works perfect and gives a better work height as well to reach the engine.
superbirdspring2022leaks 242.jpg

6 pack racks on the other side.
superbirdspring2022leaks 245.jpg

Damn near wrecked the breather getting it out of the hardened old rubber grommet. Had to use a ball joint pickle fork.
superbirdspring2022leaks 265.jpg

Threw it into some 100LL to hopefully soften it up a bit.
superbirdspring2022leaks 271.jpg

3 coats of paint and the can was toast, but found this can was a nicer shade than the last one.
superbirdspring2022leaks 274.jpg

Came out nice and under the bake oven for the night.
superbirdspring2022leaks 276.jpg

Vaseline petroleum jelly is great for softening rubber also....just make sure you wipe it off after a few hours (overnight)

Excellent for helping to bed-in new door rubbers. :thumbsup:

superbirdspring2022leaks-271-jpg.jpg

Wife and I are working on our route, as she can only go 3 to 4 hours at a time or the next day is a right off. We were originally going to cross the border at Buffalo, but now looks like we're leaving Friday and staying at her cousins in Arkona, Ontario for the night. Then Saturday crossing the Blue Water Bridge and heading for the Gilmore Museum North of Kalamazoo MI to sign Justin's car, probably sleeping in the parking lot so we can take it all in Saturday afternoon (if we make it before closing) and most likely more on Sunday AM. Off from there the 4+ hours to the Wright / Dayton Ohio AirForce Museum. Not sure if we'll tour it on Sunday or Monday, will depend on arrival time. If anyone is in these areas and wants to meet, come look for our truck/trailer and you know my ugly mug by now! I don't have a smart phone, but if we have wifi I should be able to update using the wife's laptop.
I'm 3 years too late. lol. I'm about 25 min from the museum.

Only took me an hour to find them, but I knew I had a new valve cover bolt kit in my spares.
superbirdspring2022leaks 280.jpg

Looks pretty damn good, haven't been in here in 32 years. No collapsed lifters and can't see any valve seals that are split either. Good to go...
superbirdspring2022leaks 285.jpg

Both covers off and scraping gasket residue, then cleaned the head tops with 100LL to degrease before putting the new covers on.
superbirdspring2022leaks 294.jpg

Vacuuming out any cork chips.
superbirdspring2022leaks 296.jpg

Flushing the breather out with 100LL over and over again until all the carbon and goo is out.
superbirdspring2022leaks 298.jpg

Rocker covers old school. Plain cork. Had good luck on the Dart with cork and zero leaks using no sealant. I used the newer "hard" style gaskets on the Bee and they weep.
superbirdspring2022leaks 301.jpg

Almost gouged the new paint with a screw driver while trying to get the grommets in.
superbirdspring2022leaks 312.jpg

Covers on and snugged for the night for the cork to set. Not quite the same shade as the orange I used 32 years ago, but the air cleaner will cover most of it up for now. Next Winter I plan to drop the entire K frame and clean everything up nice using my PST suspension kit I won last year.
superbirdspring2022leaks 327.jpg

Dipstick almost forgot the dipstick! Had just enough in the paint can to hit it twice.
superbirdspring2022leaks 321.jpg

Might as well change the oil while I'm at it...
superbirdspring2022leaks 329.jpg

What is this 100LL you keep mentioning?

What is this 100LL you keep mentioning?
My one fluid multiple use fuel! AV gas.. 100LL. It's all I use as a cleaner. Works great and yesterdays load was "only" $8US/US gallon. Degreaser, that works like ****, costs more than that.
100LLtank 025.jpg

I haven't as much as touched a screw on this carb since buying the car in 1990. Runs like a top...
superbirdspring2022leaks 332.jpg

Oil filter coming off and avoiding a mess with a bent sheet of aluminum.
superbirdspring2022leaks 341.jpg

Putting that compost bin to good use again.
superbirdspring2022leaks 345.jpg

Covers both on and tightened down one last time, air cleaner back in place, oil filter on, 5 quarts of 20W50 in and ready to run.
superbirdspring2022leaks 351.jpg

Air cleaner hides the off shade of orange pretty good and blends things all together.
superbirdspring2022leaks 353.jpg

I haven't as much as touched a screw on this carb since buying the car in 1990. Runs like a top...
Dollars to donuts....if you decide to tear down that carb now after all these years.....it'll never run the same. :lol:

Nice engine shots. :thumbsup:

Three years ago today we were doing this..... so need to do it again ! Although it's starting to sound like the 2024 reunion might be held in Tennessee..
atlantalaps.jpg
atlantawinners.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back