• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tapered Axle hub drum puller ?

rustytoolss

Local time
4:29 AM
Reaction score
I used to have access to a Tapered axle puller, but not anymore :( . I have removed both axles about 2yrs ago with the too (were not stuck to bad)..Lately been thinking I should invest in my own puller. Since it's a tool that I would use only very few times (if ever again). Have any of you guys bought the 3 legged pullers from EBAY ? did they work OK ? or did the just not get the job done ?? And No , I do not plan to covert to the 66 up flange axles.

I'd see if they just come off before buying the tool. I had one drum I simply slid off and the other came off so easy I doubt I needed the puller. I picked up this oldie for a 100 bucks CDN shipped, off of Facebook Marketplace..
1964dodge440cleanup2023pt6 018.jpg

I bought one years ago just like Dad. It wasn't off of ebay though.

This is one of those tools you're tempted to say 'I'll just wait for now". Then you find yourself working on a rear end wishing you'd not waited. How do I know this?

I'd buy one, but get a heavy duty one and I'd recommend one with the T handle end that allows you to use a hammer. I bought one many years ago at a swap meet and more than once have thought of selling it, but then think better of it. The cost of owning one is quickly forgotten when you're dealing with a stuck drum. That said, I've always used some heat to help thing along.

Mine is a old Snap-On. Had it for years. It was used by many other guys when they found out I had one.
AMC and Jeep uses the same tool. I believe the E Bay ones will do the job.

They're on Amazon new. From $53 on up. Different brand names, just read the reviews. TruePower had some good reviews.

I believe I bought mine on ebay, new and I've found other uses for it, not just drum removal. Easy to adapt a clam shell bearing puller to get at those tight clearance carrier bearings.
Screenshot_20231210_184255_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20231210_184116_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20231210_184419_YouTube.jpg

They're on Amazon new. From $53 on up. Different brand names, just read the reviews. TruePower had some good reviews.

I believe I bought mine on ebay, new and I've found other uses for it, not just drum removal. Easy to adapt a clam shell bearing puller to get at those tight clearance carrier bearings.
View attachment 1571621View attachment 1571622
View attachment 1571623
Those are the ones I've been looking at ( ebay-Amazon). Just want to buy a tool that will do the job, and not spend bunch of money for a seldom used tool. I knew I'd hear from you khryslerkid

This is one of those tools you're tempted to say 'I'll just wait for now". Then you find yourself working on a rear end wishing you'd not waited. How do I know this?

I'd buy one, but get a heavy duty one and I'd recommend one with the T handle end that allows you to use a hammer. I bought one many years ago at a swap meet and more than once have thought of selling it, but then think better of it. The cost of owning one is quickly forgotten when you're dealing with a stuck drum. That said, I've always used some heat to help thing along.
Yeh, I don't want to need the tool and not have it, them have to look for one.

I thought I had one and when I went looking for it, well....... I went to NAPA and got one. I think it was around $125. Of course the next time I was at Carlisle the tool guy had one! And I carry it in the trunk. I don't want to be caught on the road needing to be pulling a drum.

I used to have access to a Tapered axle puller, but not anymore :( . I have removed both axles about 2yrs ago with the too (were not stuck to bad)..Lately been thinking I should invest in my own puller. Since it's a tool that I would use only very few times (if ever again). Have any of you guys bought the 3 legged pullers from EBAY ? did they work OK ? or did the just not get the job done ?? And No , I do not plan to covert to the 66 up flange axles.
I know this isn't what you are asking, but I would cut a hole in the drum to get access to remove the 5 bearing retainer nuts, pull the axle with the drum attached, do what you have to do to get the drum off, and change it to slide on drums. A lot of work initially, but easy to do brake work after that.

Auto Transport Service
Back