• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tapered axles

The hub itself cannot seize to keep the axle from turning. Worse case would be the bearing on that axle. More than likely it's just the shoes stuck to the drum. Back the adjuster off all the way, use a hammer to tap around the drum to break them loose. You want the adjuster backed off all the way before pulling the drum/hub anyway.

Correct. If smacking the drum with a hammer doesn't work, and there's a pretty good chance it won't, you may need to remove the hub/drum. Because the hub/drum are basically one piece and can sometimes be difficult to remove, it is VERY common to see the rear brakes in exceedingly poor condition. Mine had no material left on the shoes at all. This is most likely the problem.

Another possibility is a stuck emergency brake. In any case its probably all rusted together and the only solution my be to remove the hub/drum. Also make sure you use the correct puller to remove the hub. It may require a BFH and some heat as well. My passenger's side came off in about 15 minutes but the driver's side took about four hours and a lot of heat.

Once you have them off, performing the slip on drum modification is a piece of cake. That allows the axle/hub to basically act as a one piece unit and the drum just slides on and off like the rest of the 8 3/4's do.

Correct. If smacking the drum with a hammer doesn't work, and there's a pretty good chance it won't, you may need to remove the hub/drum. Because the hub/drum are basically one piece and can sometimes be difficult to remove, it is VERY common to see the rear brakes in exceedingly poor condition. Mine had no material left on the shoes at all. This is most likely the problem.

Another possibility is a stuck emergency brake. In any case its probably all rusted together and the only solution my be to remove the hub/drum. Also make sure you use the correct puller to remove the hub. It may require a BFH and some heat as well. My passenger's side came off in about 15 minutes but the driver's side took about four hours and a lot of heat.

Once you have them off, performing the slip on drum modification is a piece of cake. That allows the axle/hub to basically act as a one piece unit and the drum just slides on and off like the rest of the 8 3/4's do.
i wouldnt be surprised to see it be the cable. the thing did sit in the mud for a LONG time.

Auto Transport Service
Back