• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Testing gauges individually?

440beep

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:17 PM
Reaction score
For some dumb reason I pulled my 69 Ralleye dash out of the Bee in the middle of summer, but anyways, if I want to individually test the gauges, are the mounting studs the negative/positive? Can the gauges even be tested individually?

Picture is the back of the Ralleye dash, with the gauge pod studs, kind of nasty.

87181C4A-6CA3-476C-BCAE-B48BB47B2EFF.jpeg

For some dumb reason I pulled my 69 Ralleye dash out of the Bee in the middle of summer, but anyways, if I want to individually test the gauges, are the mounting studs the negative/positive? Can the gauges even be tested individually?

Picture is the back of the Ralleye dash, with the gauge pod studs, kind of nasty.

View attachment 1488018
IMO....since the instrument panel voltage regulator reduces 12 volts DC to approximately 5 volts DC, to power the gauges, the individual gauges are simply volt meters, calibrated to read fuel level, temperature or oil pressure respectively through their resistive "sending units". By varying the resistance of the sending unit, the respective volt meter will read upscale. Since the individual instruments are thermal devices, deliberately slow to respond to dampen out fluctuations, they can be individually tested with a variable DC supply of 0 - 5.0 VOLTS (maximum). The most common cause of inoperative instruments is the instrument panel voltage regulator, followed by bad ground connections.......
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back