• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Texas vehicle registration

HEY.. move on up to Ontario! We just threw out the yearly $120 sticker fee and once you safety your vehicle it's good for as long as you own the car! My Bee was last safetied in 1986 when Dad died and Mom transferred it into my name...

Is that inspection an annual thing or just a 1 time deal cause I’ll be new to the state?
Yearly.....and once a vehicle is 25 years old, no more emissions testing and the inspection becomes like 7 bucks. Yearly registration fee for my 2 Dakotas is 75.50 each but the 2500 is a bit higher.

You have to have a state inspection on emmisions vehicles, I forgot what year it stops at. You cant get registration until you have the inspection done, my inspector charges $23 for it.
As far as you Mopar, you can apply for antique plates and not worry about inspections, and only have to renew every 3 yrs.
Glad to have you come to Tx bud! What part are you miving too?
But there's still lot of cops that will stop you because they don't know the law on the antique plates....and vehicles that are 25 and older do not go through emissions testing.

Lufkin is a nice area. Green but humid.
The antique tag is good for 3 or is it 5 year span. You pay advorum tax when you buy the tag for this period. Not too bad cost wise.
I lived in Missouri 37 years until about 5 yrs. ago, There you pay like $20 for an antique tag that is good forever!!!
Please forget all the West Coast mentality when you arrive enough of that in Austin and Houston! Sorry Cranky!!
Hey, I'm in far east Pasadena.....just south of Deer Park and a few hundred feet of LaPorte so I'm far enough away from Houston's BS. :D

Property taxes are a killer in Texas!
But there's no state income tax....

Being a Disabled Veteran with a 100% rating, I pay ZERO property taxes. However, Commiefornia is a sliding scale and takes into account how much money you make, so I get the basic exemption of $149000.

Cranky, did your area get flooded with the last hurricane? I’m trying to stay away from the coast line cause of what I saw on the news.

You cannot escape some kind of cataclysmic weather if you live in Texas, it just goes with the territory, but at least there aren't any major earthquakes to contend with.
I have lived in Weatherford Texas for 36 years, it used to be a quaint, sleepy little farm and ranch community till the developers came and turned it into another suburb of the Dallas/Fort Worth sprawl.
There are still small towns in East Texas if you are looking for that kind of lifestyle, and property and home prices are much lower than they are here in this area.

Cranky, did your area get flooded with the last hurricane? I’m trying to stay away from the coast line cause of what I saw on the news.
I'm too far inland to worry about storm surge unless maybe we get a very wet and strong cat 5 hurricane. If that happens, there won't be anything around here safe. Ike was a 5 but as it came close to land, it died down and was a pretty dry storm. Was packed and ready to leave then decided to stay when we saw the winds dying down but still didn't like the 90mph 'breezes' it had.

Harvey came inland well to the WSW of the Houston area then doubled back out to the Gulf and headed towards Houston as a tropical storm that dumped a ton of water. There just wasn't much wind with it. Also, the Corp of Engineers opened the flood gates to protect the dams from over topping and areas that weren't flooding from the storm did become flooded once the gates were opened. Why people will live below a dam in the first place is beyond me. My last house flooded 3 times in the 10 years I lived there...7" the first time, 3" the second and 1 1/2" the third and that's when I decided to move from that place. Been in this place 37 years and so far so good.

Just have your title or certificate and proof of insurance, and a recent inspection.

Only thing Ive have happen here in Montgomery Co was in 08 during Ike, had a tree fall on my roof. When Houston has flooded we typically are high and dry unless you live close to the river.
Down side is that everyone is moving here to escape Harris co.
If I could move it would be near Fairfield/Streetman, oak tree, hills and a lot of really nice lakes that arent muddy types and only a short drive to DFW if medical facilities access is a concern.
Most east Tx lakes are usually red or muddy in color due to runoff unless there has been several weeks without rain.
I do like my area though, crime is relatively low when compared to surrounding counties and the Woodlands was voted best place to live again. But I thinknthats for the communities and things to do, not for a country type setting.

Last edited:
Never buy in a flood zone.
Check out homestead and ag exempt in Tx prop.taxes.
We live in the sticks, there is NO emissions testing.
Like said I would check out Lufkin area.

I do like the Lufkin area.

Not everyone is retired.

Oklahoma has 5% maximum income tax rate and the highest county has a 1.03% property tax rate. Land prices are still pretty low but are rising quickly. If you can tolerate tornadoes and ticks it's a good place to live.

Yeah, I don’t care for dust devils on steroids!

Seems to be tornado alley is moving further south little by little as the years go by. Had a small one in very late December of 84. Seems to be I was the only one on the street that got any damage and that was from it picking up my canoe and slamming it into a pretty nice but apart 70 Challenger and ruining the driver's door. A few years ago another one that was larger did some tree and roof damage to several houses a few doors down. After living here for 37 years, I'm not going to complain about one smashed door but there have been a few other small twisters come through but they've all been more than a couple of miles away and have been small. Have also seen several water spouts off shore in Galveston when I hung out a lot down there.

Seems to be tornado alley is moving further south little by little as the years go by. Had a small one in very late December of 84. Seems to be I was the only one on the street that got any damage and that was from it picking up my canoe and slamming it into a pretty nice but apart 70 Challenger and ruining the driver's door. A few years ago another one that was larger did some tree and roof damage to several houses a few doors down. After living here for 37 years, I'm not going to complain about one smashed door but there have been a few other small twisters come through but they've all been more than a couple of miles away and have been small. Have also seen several water spouts off shore in Galveston when I hung out a lot down there.
It's funny where and when they hit. I've been at this location for 23 years and a tornado has never been near us. I've lived in tornado alley for over 50 years and have never seen one.

Not everyone is retired.
Eventually EVERYONE does retire.... I moved from a NO sales tax state to a sales tax state with NO income tax..... Now that I am retired I wish I lived in a NO sales tax state....

Eventually EVERYONE does retire.... I moved from a NO sales tax state to a sales tax state with NO income tax..... Now that I am retired I wish I lived in a NO sales tax state....
I think the sales tax states should give the 65 and older crowd at least a break on the sales tax. I do get a break on property taxes and the water bill and being a vet, lots of restaurants give discounts and a couple around me give 50% off!

Good luck on that move...

Auto Transport Service
Back