• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TF 270 512 dragstrip results.

Yeah, I was trying to compare the slip to my last outing with my dads 512.

IMG_0159.jpeg

Tested my buddy Daves 67 Satellite at Milan last night. This car just got updated with some touch-up paint work, new cage, Dana, DVW race trans, 512" just over 11-1, TF 270s and intake, 4150 Holley, Hooker race headers, 270ish roller thats probably not ideal, 8" converter (no flash test), 4.10 dana, 9x30 M/T radial slicks. The car has glass hood, deck lid, bumpers, light seats, moly cage. He's around 250lbs. I would guess it weighs around 3300. ran a 1.42/[email protected] ouut of the box. Backed it up with a 1.40/[email protected]. Heard a noise on the 3rd pass and lifted. Some how the right rocker shaft center bolts were loose. Pushrods off the rockers. We pulled the shaft and inspected everything. No damage. So I put it back together and torqued the shaft hold downs. When checking the lash all the center readings were tight. So I suspect the bolts never were fully tightened during assy. This is why I torque everything when I build my stuff. I checked the left side hold downs and lashed it as well. Went back and ran a [email protected]. So no damage done. He didn't have the instructions for the play back tach. So no converter data. It hooked great. Personnaly I think it should go quicker. No jetting, timing, or lash changes yet. 36 degrees total. The carb has been dynoed in the past with good results. Car ran clean
Doug
Just saw this thread today and am very interested. This build is very similar to mine in most respects with only a little more clarity needed on the heads. For the heads, was there any additional work done? Numbers all look pretty close to what I am anticipating once at the track but I am try to set proper expectations. Thanks in advance.

Just saw this thread today and am very interested. This build is very similar to mine in most respects with only a little more clarity needed on the heads. For the heads, was there any additional work done? Numbers all look pretty close to what I am anticipating once at the track but I am try to set proper expectations. Thanks in advance.
I don't know about the OP, but my TF720 heads were out of the box from a porting standpoint. Not sure if they touched up the seats or not. It made 713 hp/709 torque.

110 race fuel its just over 12-1. Heads are untouched from Trick Flow. I would think the 1/8-1/4 mph gain should be around 26 mph. We are testing today at Milan. My car, this car, and my sons 62. It has ARP rocker studs.
Doug

It went 9.94 134 yesterday in testing. 1.070 correction factor.
Doug

Correction factor is the weather in this case 7.0% worse than dyno correction. Similar air last night 1.068. But with 105# of ballast added. 9.86@134 at US131.
Doug

We did get it to go 129.6 this past weekend but it spun on that pass. Corection factor was around 1.075 with head wind. @nd pass the throttle cable broke. 3rd pass the correction went to 1.087 and it ran 127.
Doug

I made a short clip of the full video where he describes the front and rear fender widening. The Coronet has "hips" built into the rear quarters vs the Satellite or Belvedere, but the bowed fenders on the Plymouth look great, IMO.
View attachment 1479809View attachment 1479811View attachment 1479812
✂️ front and rear fenders widened
The rear quarters on my 68 road runner were 'pulled' out a bit too. Hard to see if you weren't looking for it.
I'm surprised at the low 1/4 mph. I think there's more to be had based on the 108 1/8 mph. Going to test tommorow.
Doug
Was about to ask the same thing. My high 10.60 (10.68) car went 126 (125.9) and the 10.95 car went 134....or maybe mine was looking for a better ET....?

As luck would have it I had to run against this car 1st rd today. Lost my concentration and he smoked me. I use dumb bell weights bolted in. Some use lead shot in a box. Some bolt in heavy steel.bars. What ever it takes to run your index.
Doug

Back on the rails. Dave tested today at LIR. Turned out it only had 18 degrees total. With 35 degrees it'a a different animal. The weather today was worse as well.
Doug

View attachment 1495312

View attachment 1495313
Similar 511 build and 3380#. Looks like we are all close to a good tune. According to google maps, Mid Michigan track goes up hill (1 meter or less) and Lapeer old track went downhill. Havent checked since they rebuilt it, but im sure they fixed that.

IMG_0880.JPG

Bluefish, can you check the pomona track (in n out Raceway now)
I heard it was downhill, that's why it's not an altitude-adjusted track. (I tried Google maps, didn't tell me anything).

512" just over 11-1, TF 270s and intake, 4150 Holley, Hooker race headers, 270ish roller

Doug, is the intake the std port TF unit?

Was it opened up to match the heads?

If it does have a std port manifold, I suspect an intake with true MW sized ports would show some amount of gain in top end speed(upper rpm hp).

Of course, with the 4150 carb……it may not do anything.

Bluefish, can you check the pomona track (in n out Raceway now)
I heard it was downhill, that's why it's not an altitude-adjusted track. (I tried Google maps, didn't tell me anything).
Looks like you have 313M at the start and 306M at the finish. Lapeer dragway is 254M start and 253M finish. Mid Michigan is a bit different from last i checked. 288M start and 286M finish. Anyone can check this on google earth.

Doug, is the intake the std port TF unit?

Was it opened up to match the heads?

If it does have a std port manifold, I suspect an intake with true MW sized ports would show some amount of gain in top end speed(upper rpm hp).

Of course, with the 4150 carb……it may not do anything.
From memory it has a Edelbrock Victor untoched. I wasn't involved in the build. Preety sure the cam is to big. It was one a friend had laying around. It's bigger than I originally thought, low 280 int, low 290 exh compression is over 11 under 12 but no real number. At the Mopar event last September the trans was slipping. Turned out it had a out of round KD band causing a poor 1/2 shift. We pulled the trans and fixed it at the track. It ran some high 9.70's afterward. It weighs just under 3300 with driver and no ballast.
Doug

So it's down hill 21 feet!?! No wonder there's no altitude adjustment!
If that is the conversion, then that is a bunch. Why would they build a track on a hill? I thought my track was bad at 1 or 2 meters down. I would sure love to run that track. Get my 9 sec paper trophy for sure.

They were given a chance to use a corner of the county fairgrounds parking lot, many years ago. I believe it was a take-it-or-leave-it situation
Who cared in the early sixties.
It's now actually quite short for today's speeds. They happily accepted 1000 feet for the fuel classes. I'm not even sure national speed records can be set here.
(Actually, three of our local tracks, one gone now, are/were built in parking lots of other businesses. )

Doug, what do you ballast with, and where?
Dumb bell weights behind the seats on the floor, 2nd batttery (unused), 40lb bar over the axle.
depending on weather I've run ballast anywhere from zero to 260lbs with timing pulled 8 degrees run 9.25 index.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back