• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Downsizing continues......

Couldn't get squat for the old jeans I had......they want 'new' stuff that looks old.

I'm 72 so I grew up with the stuff. I even had a 67 Coronet with air shocks aired up all the way and the torsion bars dropped to where the rubber bumpers had about 1/2" clearance. Mainly wanted to see just how bad it would handle that way.....it was scary to say the least lol
I guess for me it was the gasser look. This Coronet seemed to like to be up in the air. Lower the T bars and let some air out of the shocks and everyone thought it was a different car. I wish I had a picture of that look.

My 69 coronet 1a (1).jpg

Last edited:
when you 2 guys start selling, it is a good indication the market has peaked

I was tempted to ask how much he wanted for the . ......... :lol:
phishing expedition
Someone (asking here) with authority had written about it here :blah:
Just a couple weeks ago :poke:

1975-1977 California Rake (we called the LA rake)
was up in the back N50/15's on 10-12" wide wheels
nose down, like S/S springs in the rear & a bout an 1" lowered in front
w/like F70s, was common place
soon after like 1980-ish was everything tucked under the fenders,
lowered stance, still a rear to front rake, no more nose bleeders
w/air shocks nonsense
that was mid 70's here

(unless you were going after the Gasser look, that was becoming rare)

built 1982
Pro-street or Pro-Nostalgia that was the prominent look
18/33"s in the rear on 15x15"s welds & 15x5"s up front/front runners
set low on a pack of Marlboros 'on it's side' like 3" (?) was the stance in front
just behind the rear of the front wheel well openings
about an 1" higher in the rear just in front of the rear wheel openings
I lived it
Budnicks 49 Ford Business Coupe Pro-Gas #2.JPG

never mind the date stamps
Budnicks 49 Ford Business Coupe Pro-Gas #4.jpg

harder to tell here
but both had the LA rake as we called it
Budnicks 67 Camaro 8.98 @ Sacramento early 1980's (brightened up a tad).png

about the same era
the 69 RR 446-str-6bbl 4 speed my daily driver, mid 11 second N/A
(probably high 10's with N2O, never ran it at the track with juice, but beat a bunch of supposedly 10 second cars with it)
hard to tell it's on a rear leaning driveway
but when it had the slicks (29x9) on it it was rear up tucked under the fenders
Budnicks 69 RR 440 str-6bbl #1.JPG

all my cars had that stance racecars or street/strip cars
Budnicks 23 T Ford Altered Crower Inj. #1.JPG

Budnicks 23 T Ford Altered AA-Gas 6-71 Blown 301ci Donovan (1).jpg

Last edited:
So is anyone else downsizing their Mopar hoards. What project cars are on the chopping block?

I'm a serial down-sizer. Next on the block will be my 53 Desoto, I'm sure to be replaced with whatever next car I become fascinated with.

I can't downsize much more
I did that before I moved above Sonora in 2007
sold most my cars & some of my tools
The warehouse was leased to someone lifts & all
no more big 43' 2car stacker Featherlight race trailer
sodl way too much of my stuff
But where I moved had a 20'x20' built in garage
I put up a couple carports side of the house & in back
the back was supposed to be my shop when my dad was done RV-ing
he did it from 2002 to 2020
Now I'm not in the financial situation to build a shop
from basically ground up
Sold the tow rig 2002 F350PS Diesle dually 1 ton
& bought my dad a Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
no money for car **** for a while after that $62k hit

Last year, I sold the 70 Road Runner convertible project car,and while I didn't make any money on the car, I was able to get back what I had into the car. I took the money from the sale of that car and bought the four storage lifts. I also bought a fifth storage lift which essentially doubled the storage space in the back of my garage. I had seven cars jambed in the back section of the garage and the garage doors weren't aligned with the jambed in cars and parts all over the place and you couldn't walk around or get to the back of the garage without climbing over stuff. I can now store ten cars back there and even walk around back there. Putting in the lifts was life changing for the garage! When I built my garage I had eight Mopars, and would have had plenty of room to work on them and store the cars and parts cleanly and safely. When I get more space I buy more cars and parts until it gets so packed full of crap that it becomes a non functional work shop and nothing gets done. I had 26 Mopars, at one point, most of them are project cars. The ones stored outside are deteriorating from the New England weather and humidity, so I am not doing them any favors hanging onto them,they need to be sold so other people can restore them. I have to get to the point where all the cars I have are either in the building or in my two car trailers and storage trailer, and are out of the elements. I can fit 14 cars in the building with the lifts and three in the trailers. If I buy anymore of them it will only be one that is closer to being done and it will replace one of the basket case project cars, that project car will then be sold off to fund other projects. My garage has come a long way, but still has a ways to go to become the clean organized shop and parts storage space I had planned it to be when I built it. This hobby is a sickness and it can easily get out of hand. I know this is a high quality problem, but you can own the cars,or let the cars own you when it gets put of control, much like what happened to the guy Mike up in Canada. He wanted to save them all too! I am nearly 60 years old with retirement looming it is time to try to be realistic about how many of these cars I can actually build. The first picture shows the 70 Road Runner convertible project I sold to get the lifts. The rest show the cars with the lifts installed in the garage. The 70 Road Runner convertible project can also be seen in the picture of the 71 Cuda and 70 Challenger convertible stacked on the lift. The Road Runner convertible project was sold already but hadn't been picked up yet by its new owner.

20220529_202225.jpg

20220509_194344.jpg

20220501_200829.jpg

20220508_135550.jpg

20220925_200214.jpg

Last edited:
This was the back of the garage before the lifts. A non functional disaster! Last year was a great year,I got a lot done with my friends help,and made a of progress on the garage and the cars. This year not so much. I had to work a lot of hours this year, not much time to get out to the garage.

20200506_210809.jpg

20200506_210759.jpg

20200506_210819.jpg

20200506_211004.jpg

20200506_210941.jpg

Last edited:
Do you only need a standard 4" concrete slab to use the 4 post lifts?
My garage floor is probably between 4 and 6 inches of cement with 6x6 wire in the cement. I made the cement thicker where I put the two post work lift.

Come on, Pete....CONCRETE is the correct term!
Cement is a component of concrete. Us construction guys are picky about the terms.

Thanks for the response!

Come on, Pete....CONCRETE is the correct term!
Cement is a component of concrete. Us construction guys are picky about the terms.

Thanks for the response!
You are correct KD,I poured and finished it myself.

I’ve got 3 Mopars but at 42, I don’t plan to thin the heard out. I’d like to add another B body at some point 68-72.

Auto Transport Service
Back