• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Elephant In The Room: unloading the load from a B-body.

fullmetaljacket

Local time
6:52 AM
Reaction score
Weight, Ballast, Pounds, Mass, Lard, Fat, Pork, any which way you cut it and name it, carrying the heavy stuff can and will hinder a cars performance and longevity, especially off the straight line type.
Depending on the year and model, there are so many places on a car to remove weight, but it is most important to remember that weight removal should be strategic to your needs and most importantly, intelligently done to keep the structural integrity of the car sound.
Every ounce counts, but you can count on this, you do it wrong or too much in the right places and you'll end up with a stale pretzel with no seasoning on top.
I have seen guys cut and hole saw cars in the wrong places such as rear quarters, roof lines, A,B and C posts, rocker panels, firewalls, fender aprons and even chassis rails and after one quarter mile pass later, there's nothing left but a car with two diagonal wheels dangling in the air while parked.
In essence, weight is not just about removing and replacing it with lighter parts, sometimes just placing it in other sections within the chassis can bring surprising results. Taking a 4000 lb car and just correctly repositioning its own amount of weight without any emphasis of losing weight can sometimes make that car run quicker as a result of better weight transfer and traction.
For those that are bummed about their own personal body mass, there is hope because there can be some advantages to that believe it or not. But again, done smart and proper is a must. (more on that later)

To keep this simple and pragmatic, There are three regions where weight (sprung or unsprung) can be managed.

Starting with the front of the car. This is (region #1) because this is the location of the first mass that the car deals with when accelerating and also where the source of power is nestled.
Mind you, the tires out back have to deal with the mass out front of them and somehow swing it back over themselves just to be able to plant, so what ever can be responsibly refigured out front will only help those two lonely busy bee tires outback.

The mid section from the A-pillar/firewall to the B-pillar which includes the doors is (region #2). A whole lot of energy is being funneled through this area via the transmission and driveshaft. It is also important because at the very tail end of this region just passed the door jams is the very nose tip where the center of gravity zone can be exploited. This sweet spot is where the nose attachments of four links, ladder bars, slapper bars, calvert bars and spring eyes make their case.

At the start of the rear quarters to the rear bumper is (region #3). This desert area is most important because this is where weight is either left alone or as I like to call it, spread out like a land fill. Note that some of the F.A.S.T Class cars running mid deep into the 9's on stock Polyglass tires have weight bars or lead shot boxes distributed at different points within this area.

Going back to region #1, the hood is the obvious first target.
Most cars should lose it (like the one pictured below LOL) It's the first thing we see since it sits high on the body and takes up a lot of real estate on the very front of the car. It is arguably the most changed body panel when it comes to weight removal. There are of course a few variations of ready made catalogued hoods out there made of fiberglass, carbon fiber, but hoods could be made weightless by utilizing exotic alloy materials or by chemically milling the original hood.

This thread should bring some rather obvious ideas and some really wild left field ones as well, so let's have some chat about trimming the fat.
The oldest teenager Gent that I know and looking on to the left is no other than "Top Boy" He's no joke when applying the trickiest tricks to 727's since when they were cast iron cases.. His magic resides within the trans case of this car.

I'll leave y'all with a bomb shell though: Sometimes a stock weight steel hood can make more power just as it is. I'll explain on my next role through.

thumbnail.jpeg

Last edited:
Weight, Ballast, Pounds, Mass, Lard, Fat, Pork, any which way you cut it and name it, carrying the heavy stuff can and will hinder a cars performance and longevity, especially off the straight line type.
Depending on the year and model, there are so many places on a car to remove weight, but it is most important to remember that weight removal should be strategic to your needs and most importantly, intelligently done to keep the structural integrity of the car sound.
Every ounce counts, but you can count on this, you do it wrong or too much in the right places and you'll end up with a stale pretzel with no seasoning on top.
I have seen guys cut and hole saw cars in the wrong places such as rear quarters, roof lines, A,B and C posts, rocker panels, firewalls, fender aprons and even chassis rails and after one quarter mile pass later, there's nothing left but a car with two diagonal wheels dangling in the air while parked.
In essence, weight is not just about removing and replacing it with lighter parts, sometimes just placing it in other sections within the chassis can bring surprising results. Taking a 4000 lb car and just correctly repositioning its own amount of weight without any emphasis of losing weight can sometimes make that car run quicker as a result of better weight transfer and traction.
For those that are bummed about their own personal body mass, there is hope because there can be some advantages to that believe it or not. But again, done smart and proper is a must. (more on that later)

To keep this simple and pragmatic, There are three regions where weight (sprung or unsprung) can be managed.

Starting with the front of the car. This is (region #1) because this is the location of the first mass that the car deals with when accelerating and also where the source of power is nestled.
Mind you, the tires out back have to deal with the mass out front of them and somehow swing it back over themselves just to be able to plant, so what ever can be responsibly refigured out front will only help those two lonely busy bee tires outback.

The mid section from the A-pillar/firewall to the B-pillar which includes the doors is (region #2). A whole lot of energy is being funneled through this area via the transmission and driveshaft. It is also important because at the very tail end of this region just passed the door jams is the very nose tip where the center of gravity zone can be exploited. This sweet spot is where the nose attachments of four links, ladder bars, slapper bars, calvert bars and spring eyes make their case.

At the start of the rear quarters to the rear bumper is (region #3). This desert area is most important because this is where weight is either left alone or as I like to call it, spread out like a land fill. Note that some of the F.A.S.T Class cars running mid deep into the 9's on stock Polyglass tires have weight bars or lead shot boxes distributed at different points within this area.

Going back to region #1, the hood is the obvious first target.
Most cars should loose it (like the one pictured below LOL) It's the first thing we see since it sits high on the body and takes up a lot of real estate on the very front of the car. It is arguably the most changed body panel when it comes to weight removal. There are of course a few variations of ready made catalogued hoods out there made of fiberglass, carbon fiber, but hoods could be made weightless by utilizing exotic alloy materials or by chemically milling the original hood.

This thread should bring some rather obvious ideas and some really wild left field ones as well, so let's have some chat about trimming the fat.

I'll leave y'all with a bomb shell though: Sometimes a stock weight steel hood can make more power just as it is. I'll explain on my next role through.

View attachment 1467794
Looking forward to your next installment

As a weight watcher I'll be paying close attention. Thank you in advance on the schooling.

Put down the bacon, fritos, and coca-cola.

Eat for nourishment and energy, not for pleasure or to ”get full”

I still have the stock steel hood and except for the front bumper, retain all the factory sheet metal. I did just pull the bench seat in favor of twin Kirkey aluminum seats. This year will be the first year that the car is below 4,000 lbs with driver. There’s lots of opportunity for further reduction for sure.

My 65 weighed 3941 without me in it. 440, torker intake, headers, full exhaust, 727, 1/2 tank of fuel, a/c.

One of the newest opportunities that has come to market is Lithium Ion Battery technology. The old way has always been battery relocation to the trunk, which is still a good way.

These days though, you turn 50lbs into 15lbs while gaining cranking amps, battery life, higher voltage for your fans/lights/etc, and a larger power reserve to boot. You add a few pounds back in for the charge controller to really make them last, but you’re still shedding 30+ lbs in a very advantageous position.

I went and weighed the red awb today, all steel car with glass bumpers and dash, aluminum heads and water pump
IMG_2684.jpeg

Lee is a very interesting character for sure. An amazing artist and a very crafty fabricator with an intimate knowledge of light weight metals.
Glad to see you brought your wisdom to this site.

Gus

Last I weighed my 62 savoy, (iron head 440) I think it was somewhere around 3250, but I think it (and the driver ) has gotten fatter. Wish I had some scales.....
Looking forward to add these ideas to my opel, too. Already no-hood condition, the valve covers are in the way. Aluminum heads, waterpump, and radiator, plus a lightweight starter, are in the works.

A long time ago I weighed my 64 savoy Max Wedge at MIR a van seat and gutted interior no front bumper. They said 3091 without me in it. To this day I dont know if that was right. I met a guy around 2000 that had a 64 Dodge he had trimmed his down to 2800 pounds with metal parts still. This guy has done the impossible getting that car light, listen to him with what he has to say.

I say it all the time
it's all about HP to weight & how you make it work
where it is, I'm pretty well-versed on the subject too

I'm sure you've covered some or most all of it

For a straight line, more off the nose the better (to an extent)
adding what comes off the nose to the rear like a battery etc.
(even the batteries themself can be much lighter)
is like adding 2X as much weight in the rear, good for weight bias
or offsetting the driver weight some too

for corner carvers lighter is better everywhere too

thin alum bumper brackets, fiberglass (or carbon fiber) bumpers, doors
& hood, ditch the heavy springs, hinges & latches, use pins & lanyards
even the decklid
(not as critical area, but still heavy overall weight, can always add ballast if needed)
Thinner glass or Lexan, trim pieces
select bolt washers nuts clips, especially stuff just holding stuff together
not of any real weight, or structural integrity
maybe go to titanium or alum where you can
get rid of most all the cast iron (engine parts, big OE starters or brakes etc.)
on the car
replace with lighter steel or aluminum
driveshaft material people often overlook,
(edited; alum or Chromoly or even carbon fiber, also the
trans front trans driveshaft yoke & the pinion yoke
)
most all OE suspension components too, shocks even
stock stuff isn't better or lighter
headliner & bows, the dome light, steering wheel, column,
visors, mirrors, most all the dash can be gutted,
(edited; heater core removal, hoses fittings etc. OR go to a small light alum. one
or AC stuff go ta an aftermarket unit if needed, even wiper motors can be changed
)
and unnecessary wiring is heavy too
insulation or noise suppression, padding, lightweight seats & brackets,
even the shifter handle or the gauge cluster

Some of the more expensive stuff,
like a lightweight alum block, even some lighter alum VC & kick out/scraper Oilpan,
(a really good oil pan is nowhere to skimp, on a racecar/motor build)
even headers material (titanium can be expensive),
style of collectors or extensions, lighter exhaust pipe & mufflers materials
lightened crank, a knife grind the counterweights, drill the rod journals,
lighter material rods, pistons/rings, wrist pins, flywheel/flexplate, converter
alum center section rear, drilled axles, drilled & slotted (or carbon fiber) brakes
lighter rims & even tires are a huge difference maker
I see guys running steel rims (the poverty cap crowd)
& they talk about wanting to go faster
too stubborn to get away from them 'heavy *** steel wheels'

a lot of the stuff you will never see

drill/hole saw out, solid panels hidden all over the car,
under the car, or under door panels,
or don't even run door panels, alum. levers handles etc.
don't go too crazy with the hole saw thou

thanks for the post @fullmetaljacket very good

sometimes is gets costly, some lightweight fasteners are pricey
sometimes it's cheaper than trying to get another 50hp too
just a lil sweat equity, & lightweight stuff, isn't always cheap
some can be as pricey or as much or more than engine building

Last edited:
I just trimmed 16 lbs. off my Savoy just by changing to aluminum shocks. Expensive but I also get the benefit of adjustable suspension and the weight loss is just icing on the cake.

Gus

One of the newest opportunities that has come to market is Lithium Ion Battery technology....shedding 30+ lbs in a very advantageous position.
While not 30 pounds, my first lead-acid to L-ion battery swaps were our 2 V-Rod motorcycles. The battery sits right behind the top of the steering gooseneck, and being able to reduce weight there really makes for a better handling, easier to transition ride.
As far as my 70 Roadrunner, weight reduction comes as it will. The BMP aluminum block is a significant weight loss, in an important location. The QA1 tubular K-Member is a little lighter than the factory one, as are some of the other components, but that was happening regardless. Weight gets added here, like the AC system, but then subtracted there, a big example is the bench seat replaced by 2 Scat Procar bucket seats. Another example of "was going to happen anyway" but definitely a weight loss.
So rather than look for places to lose weight on the car, I take it where I can get it, but I don't fret about the weight of stuff I want to add.
I know my situation is totally different from those seeking 10ths of a second and ounces, not just pounds, but I'm pretty sure my car is going to be a couple hundred pounds lighter than it was when it left the factory.

Auto Transport Service
Back