• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Fable Creature

NickOReilly

Local time
4:19 AM
Reaction score
I thought Id move my intro over here so I copied and pasted.. Howdy guys, Ive asked a few questions but never made an introduction. So hello! Im from central Iowa, Im 30, Ive worked for excavating outfits for 10 years, about to get married this june, to a woman:icon_winkle:, and she just so happens to be waaay out of my league, so two points for the short dudes! When I was 5 or 6 my dad brought home a 67 Satellite, 2 door ht, originally a red/gray car but painted black by the time pops found it. The white interior had been spray dyed black. I remember that winter well, dad had all the interior in the basement, i think it was lacquer and a toothbrush, somehow all the seats, door panels and center console were white again by spring. It was a daily driver all our school years, baseball practice, ice cream, fiiinally getting to drive it when I was 12, damn theres a lot of memories.. I grew up with a very tight family. Dad got sick and went rounds with lymphoma for a year, lost him august 2009. 59 years young. He drove a 67 gtx 440 while he was in school at Iowa State, ended up having to let it go along the way though.. So anyhoo, I inherited the mopar bug from him. Just love these cars, cant get enough of them. Ive spent so many hours on this site, you guys have helped me a ton. Dad had found a 440/727, went through it, had the heads done, put it back together and there it has sat. First motor he had ever done, aside from his old triumph bikes. We were in the midst of deciding to put it in the satellite or a new project when he got sick. So 2010 I started stripping the car down to get blasted, a little metal work and some fresh paint, then somehow Im going to try to get it all back together, with that 440 that's been silent for 5 years.. so after a few years, a few nightmares with body guys, my first gray hair, too many pay checks set aside, the car should finally be back in dads shop mid march. And needs to be ready for my wedding on 6/7.. great anniversary date huh?!(not a coincidence) Followed by my sisters wedding 2 weeks later. Ill need a bit of luck in my corner to say the least.. Well fellas hoped you enjoyed my rant. And thanks in advance for all the help I know youll give me! You guys rule! Now to figure out how to post a pic, sorry in advance if I do it wrong

Attachments

• SDC10524.jpg
    SDC10524.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 607
So I thought Id start my own thread on here, since I feel like Im on here everyday. I started calling it the fable creature a while back because most of my friends have never even seen this car Im constantly talking about, I myself havent seen the car in close to 2 years, starting to wonder myself if its real. Im still anxiously awaiting my metal guy to get done so we can move it to the paint shop. Supposed to talk again monday. Paint shop is ready as soon as we are. Starting to get pretty nervous considering the wedding/move is exactly 10 weeks from now. And Ive never put a car back together before. And I pour myself another drink.
So I tried my hand at some painting, a bunch of taping, a bunch of polishing, bunch of rum. Trying to knock as much as I can before the car is back. Gave it a valiant effort, most of it turned out alright I suppose. As long as I dont point anything out ;)

Attachments

• 499.jpg
    499.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 527
  • 529.jpg
    529.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 529
  • 557.jpg
    557.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 526
  • 569.jpg
    569.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 534
  • 616.jpg
    616.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 513
  • 617.jpg
    617.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 502
  • 670.jpg
    670.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 529
  • 613.jpg
    613.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 510
That looks good to me! Nice! Looking forward to the completed pics!

You're doing a nice job on the car. I'm sure your dad would be very proud. I hope it all comes together for the wedding. Post a picture when you get it done.
Wayne

Beautiful car and a cool story to go with it. I envy you guys with the cool family stories, for me my childhood was K cars, full sized vans, fifth avenues and Metro's as I got older "hardly anything to look back on haha". I'm a big fan of the 67 Sats

Very nice story Nick and welcome aboard the madness, you have a cool ride there and i hope you enjoy the re-build! Getting started looks pretty good bud!! :)

Nice car Nick, show us some more pics! Sounds like your having fun with the car.

You are definitely making pops smile from beyond w/your passion for his old car. Hoping same thing happens when I'm gone....

The car is definitely cool as hell, and the backstory makes it even cooler. I have two boys myself, 2 and 4. I think anyone's wish is to be able to pass on the love and admiration of a vehicle to a son or daughter after we pass on. Much better than seeing it rot away in a garage or be in the hands of someone reckless and destroy it. Keep up the good work , well done.

Wow thanks guys! Gotta admit, I was pretty lit up last night when I posted that, quite impressed with my grammar and punctuation! Ha! I have more pictures to post when I get a minute to move them from my phone. No I was being overly critical of myself, Im happy with how everything has turned out so far. Im learning something everyday. Sure is fun. I had a friend say a month ago about the finish panel 'who are you going to have paint that?' I said me, and he laughed. Got to bust it out on him last weekend and just smile :) But I left out the part about how many hours I had in on it ha! Thanks for the encouragement fellas! Kinda going at this alone so thanks for this awesome forum and everyones help! These two keep me pretty good company, but suck at restoring parts!

Attachments

• 470.jpg
    470.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 450
Hey Nick, congrats on the future wedding. That's one nice looking car you got. Looking forward to seeing what else you will do with it. I live in n.e. iowa, so probably not to far from you.

Went and picked up the car from the metal guy last weekend, moved it to the paint shop. I was all smiles. I thought he did a great job, but was relieved to hear the same from the paint man. A very solid job, even with the bad fit of the repop panels. He said he had his work cut out for him. Paint guy was excited at how solid of a car we have. Finally some good news! My paint man said he would put a bit of a rush on it, said he would try to have it in 4 weeks, 3 if were lucky. That would give me 4 weeks to get her clothes back on for the wedding.....

Had some bad news though, the hp manifolds that I had done up, I was told they would not fit. The local mopar guru I met said 67 is a one year only manifold. Said the driver side manifold has a rotated flange for clearance issues, and no other hp manifold would fit. So that bummed me out, and so far theyre hard to find, and expeeeeensive.

So I was getting ready to order up her new shoes. I was told I couldnt fit 15x8s in the back, so was thinking 15x7 magnums all around. Backspacing for those are only available 4.25.. dont know if this works? Anyone with a 67 have some input? Not sure on what size tires to run either. Cant measure without the car.. and dont want to wait to order and rum out of time. Any input fellas?

And I forgot to look, anyone know if you have to pull the front and back glass to do the headliner?

View attachment 183988View attachment 183989View attachment 183990View attachment 183991View attachment 183992View attachment 183993

Auto Transport Service
Back