• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The List of Top 10 Muscle Cars

Agree or disagree , that is the Question

• Yes

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • No

Votes: 41 97.6%

• Total voters
I have a question--When was the year that -you all- first remember the term "muscle car" being used?
I grew up with these cars owning and driving them. My first recall of the term was in the late seventies. Some ten years after these cars were made.
Of course, this leads to the meaning of the term. I met a guy near where I lived (in 79 or so) that had a 70 Hemi RR. He said he was involved with forming a car club he called "Mopar Muscle Cars". My first reaction was ugg.
For me, this was the beginning of racing/showing cars in a parking lot.

Maybe I came late to the party of "muscle cars" Here is a pic of a car like one I had when I was 20.
It could push 160mph and was by no means a lightweight.
An ad I recall said this car was really a bomb.-- I guess that was 50s speak for muscle?:)
1957-300C-front.jpg

Last edited:
Camaro, Mustang, Trans Am & the Corvettes aren't Muscle cars

a muscle car was org. defined by being a
BB midsize 2 door, Post Coupe or Hard Top 1964-1971

Firebird/Trans Am/Formula, Camaro, Mustang & AMX are all pony cars
The Corvette is a Sports car

Sorry but the 67-69 Dart & Barracuda is a Compact,
as much as I love the S/S Hemi BO29 & LO23 they were compacts
not org. considered a Muscle car, by definition
{Coined Muscle Cars by Hot Rod Mag. after a write-up of the 64 GTO}
until maybe the 1970 E body Challenger R/T & `cuda versions
so is the Fairlane or earlier Tempests

The GS Buick belongs
so does the Chevelle, I'd have had a 66-67
But the 70 454 SS was a muscle car

the RR is the one that stands out the most
A 68-69 Road Runner & a 69.5 RR A12 even a 71 RR
A 69 Daytona Charger & a 69 Charger 500 Hemi
A 68-70 Charger R/T even a 71 Charger R/T
A 68-70 Super Bee or Coronet R/T even a 71 Super Bee
The Rebel or Machine from AMC

My list would go
Tied #1 69.5 Road Runner A12 & 69.5 Super Bee A12 {fast, light-ish & affordable, strip ready}
Tied #2 68 Charger R/T or 67-69 Coronet R/T {really a full sized car, maybe not by that era standards}
----- #3 70 Buick GS Stage 1 455
Tied #4 70 'cuda Hemi & 70 Challenger R/T 440 Six pack {borderline a muscle car by definitions}
----- #5 68 Road Runner Hemi {1st car built for the youth crowd/market & affordable}
Tied #6 65 Chevelle Z16, 67 Chevelle SS 396 & 70 Chevelle SS 454
----- #7 64 Ford Galaxie Xl 500 Fastback 427ci {really a full-size car}
Tied #8 65 Old 442 400ci 4 speed & a 70 GTO Judge Ram Air IV,
64-65 GTO 389 tri power &/or the 62-64 Mopars/413ci & 426ci Max Wedge cars
Tied #9 69 Daytona Charger & 70 Superbird {IMO both #10's more NASCAR track Fame than Muscle car}
---- #10 69 AMC Rebel Machine
bud nails it.
amc rebel!

Muscle car tends to bring to mind factory high performance cars. Maybe in 62 was the start..
Muscle Cars were the result of the "Big 3" watching what the hot rodding industry was doing. They saw all these guys modifying their cars with big engines etc, and wanted in on the action..

Our cars have been defined by many terms...
Street machine, Street Rod ,Hot Rod, Muscle car, Super car, Sport compact, Pony cars

I did not participate in the vote. The question (as presented) is just silly.

The question confused me somewhat - Agree or Disagree....then the options are Yes or No. :lol:
I went No....because I assumed that meant Disagree.

Corvettes and Mustang are NOT Muscle cars.

Seems to me that the list was made up by someone from G.M., with a few honorable mentions.
I agree- a GM fan with a few cars thrown in to even out the list. I for one, would not put a winged car on the muscle car list. That seems more out of place than the vette.

The list should include, IMO:

Gt 350 or 500
Ford Thunderbolt
A12 bee or bird
Lo23 Hemi dart or Cuda
454 Ls6 Chevelle
Hemi cuda
429 cobra jet
max wedge 330
GSX
Zl-1 Copo camaro

I would have...
64-65 GTO 389 tri power
64 Super Stock Dodge
68 Hemi Charger
69.5 A12 RR / Bee
Buick GSX
LS6 Chevelle
BOSS 429 Mustang
1970 Olds 442
1968 Hemi Roadrunner
1970 GTO Judge

I would have...
64-65 GTO 389 tri power
64 Super Stock Dodge
68 Hemi Charger
69.5 A12 RR / Bee
Buick GSX
LS6 Chevelle
BOSS 429 Mustang
1970 Olds 442
1968 Hemi Roadrunner
1970 GTO Judge
I would replace the goat with an R-code Galaxy. There needs to be a 427 Ford in there somewhere

I would replace the goat with an R-code Galaxy. There needs to be a 427 Ford in there somewhere

I was thinking Galaxy or Torino w/ 427. It is a hard top 10 but the early GTO was perfect for stuff a big motor in an intermediate car. And the 70 Judge is pretty iconic. It could go either way but I wouldn't refuse any if they were offered to me. :)

I think there should be 2 lists.
A common list covering popular muscle cars. Example 69 Road Runner. Motor trend car of the Year selling 80000 vehicles for around 3k each. Affordable and well marketed

And a elite group focusing on Hemis and wing cars and such.
For example The Buick GSX may have been awesome and had 510 lbs torque, but there were only around 250 ever made.

To me, a muscle car should have sufficient production, maybe 500 or so. ZL1, Race hemi, thunderbolt, are thinly disguised racecars. Pony cars seem to be considered muscle cars now, generically, i dont have a problem with that, tho it originally meant a midsize car with a big block. The definition has definitely blurred over time.

To me, a muscle car should have sufficient production, maybe 500 or so. ZL1, Race hemi, thunderbolt, are thinly disguised racecars. Pony cars seem to be considered muscle cars now, generically, i dont have a problem with that, tho it originally meant a midsize car with a big block. The definition has definitely blurred over time.
By that logic, 1970-71 Hemi Cudas and challengers would be excluded. IMHO, both are muscle cars, despite limited numbers.

We are debating a term that IMO came into our vocabulary in the seventies. (A new speak trend)
I look at it this way. -- We have had cars with "muscle" for many years and we now have "muscle cars" -What would Webster say about all this?:)

BTW when did the term "pony car" come about?---Was it the Mustang that "spawned" it? --Is a Barracuda a "pony car"? That feels fishy:poke:

Last edited:
Hwy145, hemi challengers and cudas are the peak of a mountain of 383,340,440 cars, just as 427 fairlaines (not referring to thunderbolts ) are to cobra-jet and 390 cars, and LS6 is to 396cars. To me, these are all muscle cars, just some more Schwarzenegger than others.

Sorry but I don't think any Buick or Old's belongs on a top 10 list and I can't stand Chevelles but can at least understand that one. A lot of cars missing from that list that should be there like Roadrunners and Chargers.

Auto Transport Service
Back