• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The rear pot metal “PLYMOUTH” letters

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:23 PM
Reaction score
Did the original letters have some paint inside or do mine just need some cleaning and polishing?

Now I am wondering what kind of anagram I can make as well…

IMG_0034.jpeg

Last edited:
Jerry knows best as an avid collector of many years. I have no doubt. However mine on the 68 GTX were the color of the OP. Likely because of the model, yr and trunk back plate. But honestly I don't recall seeing many black. I'm sure I need to be schooled.

Black paint inside.
Yeah I see something that looks like black paint. Wasn’t sure if was just 50 years of crude. Now I know. Thats going to be a pita to do.

If you painted a car, why would you sweat over 8 small letters?

If you painted a car, why would you sweat over 8 small letters?
Painting over chrome no buano
Can’t use traditional masking methods

I was also told as a young teenager not to sweat the petty stuff but to always pet the sweaty stuff…….

Put them in a empty water bottle with Lacquer thinner and shake them vigorously a few times for a day. Then dry them off. Spray them black on a piece of cardboard , let dry for a couple of days and then take the thinner and wipe the paint off the surrounding area. Rags and Q tips. Works great. Use good paint.

Last edited:
Jerry knows best as an avid collector of many years. I have no doubt. However mine on the 68 GTX were the color of the OP. Likely because of the model, yr and trunk back plate. But honestly I don't recall seeing many black. I'm sure I need to be schooled.
My 70 is black inside

Expand the picture that @Moparfiend posted, you will see remnants of black paint in some of letters, especially the H, P, &, U.

Pardon me for not knowing, but..... what car?
Numerous, but he's talking about his 70 Road Runner. They are also on the hood of my '66 Satellite and have come on other cars as well. Over the years there are a couple versions of pin orientation on a couple of the letters..
1966plymouthsathp2 064.jpg

1967formulasbaracuda 036.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the inputs guys. I am curious what paint you guys used and what thinner as well.

Rows 1 through 4 came off 1970 Road Runners ( black inserts ).
Row 5 came off a 1970 Sport Satellite ( all Chrome ).

IMG_9127.JPG

Did the original letters have some paint inside or do mine just need some cleaning and polishing?

View attachment 1550713
The letters shown in your picture are the same as what are on my 65 Sport Fury. Recessed area painted Black. I don't recall any other color in them. I suppose you could paint em any color you want though.

CONV3.JPG

View attachment 1550713

Plymouth

mouth
mouthy
month
monthly
lump
lumpy
moth
thump
thumpy
hump
humpy
pout
out
hot
hotly
plum
youth
you
Tom
hut
thou
mop
hop
pot
plot
lot
youth

And my favorite:

hot lump

I'm sure I missed some. I should get a job!

Auto Transport Service
Back