• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The return of MAXIMVS...

Max will be home 1/15-1/16. Steel body parts are in-hand to replace the race fiberglass I installed years ago and will be ready for the transformation back to street/strip duty. I do not intend to make a perfect max wedge clone, the Savoy will bear strip scars and some if not most of the appearance will be battle worn, as I think it should be. This is not an original maxie and will not be passed off as one but will legitimately be a representative example of what might have been raced in the late sixties and what I raced it as in the early 2000's. I rescued the car from a barn in Aylmer Canada where it had been previously campaigned. See the Hemmings article for that background.

I plan on having fun with the car and making it fully streetable while being race ready for some NSS and bracket action. I have argued with myself about removing the MAXIMVS graphics but have decide to leave them as they are part of MY history racing the car and it's not like I'm going for a sleeper look. That work was done by D&N Design in Honeybrook PA and it is truly a work of art, real gold/silver leaf applique - a lost art, IMO. I watched it go on and man was that an education.

Chuck

And not to say your car along with yourself have made a little history :)

Nice to hear you're bringing that all back again!

I know getting your old ride back will make you happy, if you sold a fresh built car for its return. Looking forward to your progress.

The 66 went to a good home but man, I hated to let it go. I never would have sold it but for this opportunity.

Chuck

And not to say your car along with yourself have made a little history :)

Nice to hear you're bringing that all back again!

Thanks for that, but like cars and real estate, it was never mine, just my turn...

I can honestly say that my time with Max was and is the best time of my life along with my wife Sherry (31 years tomorrow she has put up with me, she's a saint). I appreciate the sentiment.

Chuck

Last edited:
@Snook! Thanks for the update. I have a very similar situation of my own and you may have given me some insight as to what to do with my 63 Ply Fury MW clone. I've been wanting to make the car street legal and drive and enjoy it as it's been a race only car for 20 years now and with all the Mopar events ending, I want to do something different. So, I'll be watching the transformation of MAXIMVS. ruffcut

Picked up the steel decklid, thanks to moparmarks! Also scored a SWEET short Savoy hood spear and medallion so all the hard to get steel parts are now in hand. Car will be in the garage and getting torn down next weekend, can't wait!

Chuck

Health willing, MAXIMVS will be home this next weekend. I will keep those that are interested up to date on the evolution. The garage feels too empty...

snook (chuck)

@Snook! Thanks for the update. I have a very similar situation of my own and you may have given me some insight as to what to do with my 63 Ply Fury MW clone. I've been wanting to make the car street legal and drive and enjoy it as it's been a race only car for 20 years now and with all the Mopar events ending, I want to do something different. So, I'll be watching the transformation of MAXIMVS. ruffcut

Do it.

snook

Congratulations on getting your old race car back with some cool history. Let me know about the fiberglass parts when you get them all removed. I may be interested in them all for my 63' project car. Thanks.

Will do. Going to have the car home this weekend. I'll send you some pics of all the parts and condition.

Chuck

Car is home and the assessment has started. Here's a few pics when I picked it up and in its new home.

Chuck

20220114_221029.jpg 20220115_091055.jpg imagejpeg_0(19).jpg imagejpeg_0(22).jpg 20220115_101443.jpg

I already took all the fiberglass glass off in preparation for the installation of good steel pieces (hood - new hood will be flat, no scoop, decklid and bumpers. Motorplate is going bye-bye and I have a nice 63 k-member ready for it.

Chuck

Super Tricks aren't good for street, so they are going as well. I have a set of aluminum Halibrand's to replace them with. I still love the look of the Super Tricks though.

Chuck

This is going to be a great thread. Who made the fender well hedders? I'm thinking about using some on my 63 Dodge.

They are Dougs, ceramic coated if I remember. Well made heavy suckers. I'm going with max wedge exhaust manifolds and TTI max wedge system kit for the street and occasional NSS duty.

Chuck

20220115_101452.jpg 20220115_101508.jpg

Congratulations on getting your old race car back with some cool history. Let me know about the fiberglass parts when you get them all removed. I may be interested in them all for my 63' project car. Thanks.

I sent you a PM with some pics attached. Shipping would be a killer, you might be better off buying new and shipping unless you just happen to be in FL sometime.

Chuck

When you first sold 'Max', it kinda shocked me but I understood. There's lots of cars that I wish would come 'home' and wish I had never sold them but then on the other hand, who knows what might have happened when I ended up in a divorce.....after 31 years but to tell you the truth.....after the fact....I'm glad she's gone!

When you first sold 'Max', it kinda shocked me but I understood. There's lots of cars that I wish would come 'home' and wish I had never sold them but then on the other hand, who knows what might have happened when I ended up in a divorce.....after 31 years but to tell you the truth.....after the fact....I'm glad she's gone!

Been there on the ex for sure. I never expected to get Max back, I'm just grateful that the man who bought him honored his word and contacted me. We have kept in touch over the years and he is truly a great guy with a passion for super stock mopars and that era. I told him that when I finish with Max for street duty, I will hand him the keys and he can take it for a cruise anytime he wants... no racing though, I reserve that pleasure for myself going forward.

Chuck

Max is pissed at me and has extracted the first blood from me for leaving him all those years ago. I sliced the hell out of my fingers on the pop rivet shards left behind when I removed the Dzus fasteners this afternoon. I'm sure I will sacrifice pints as I correct my hacking sins from years ago. Worth it though.

Chuck

I think I'm keeping the fenderwell headers, they are starting to grow on me again. I had forgotten just how right they look on this era. I can always change over to MW exhaust manifolds later if I change my mind.

Max is pissed at me and has extracted the first blood from me for leaving him all those years ago. I sliced the hell out of my fingers on the pop rivet shards left behind when I removed the Dzus fasteners this afternoon. I'm sure I will sacrifice pints as I correct my hacking sins from years ago. Worth it though.

Chuck
How are the sliced fingers doing?

Auto Transport Service
Back