• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Roach

Starting off with the 35 grit and then going to the 80 is good advice. Using a finer material tends to just float over material and not cut through. Learned that one in the 70's when I worked as a prepper. My boss showed me the difference on a panel that had painted lettering on it. Used a rough disc on one area then some 180/220 on the other. Both removed but under the primer you could still see the letters, even though it was bare metal, on the 180/220 side.
Mine had so many crappy coats of paint that a razor blade scraper took the majority of it off!! It came off in sheets and filled up two 5 gallon buckets. There was at least 8-10 coats on that thing....

Congratulations RC on getting the Charger off the the body shop! She's going to come back dripping with purple passion!

Last edited:
The government saw a gleaming silver object on their radar,and thought it was a UFO! It was just you delivering a bare naked Charger to the bodyshop! Now the choppers are circling around your house!

I don't need a link. I have a 295-35-18 in mine. 10 mm isn't much more. I have over an inch of room to the inside and about the same to the outer wheel opening rim. 18 x 10" wheel.

This with a 295-45-18:

Folsom 6 (2).JPG

Now, I know that the large diameter wheels don't appeal to everyone. The shorter the sidewall, the less they bulge in the middle. A 315 in a 15" wheel (if that width even exists) would probably be a 50 series and may have too much bulge in the sidewall to fit and clear.

Along with members verifying fitment on their own rides, here is another avenue. You can figure out backspacing, tire size etc. This unit will let you mount up a guinea pig tire. I have one and when its time for calculations, I'll hit up some tire stores for some bald/worn units to check and see what I can squeeze in.
IMG_2745.JPG
IMG_2754.JPG

I inspired RC into building his own Chargervert! That's right folks the roof is coming off that Charger!

8250453-DSC00666 (1).JPG

No, RC don't do it. The roof line is one of the characteristics that make these cars perfect as is. There are already enough ruined with these high dollar custom jobs, destroyed in all the movies and cloned into General Lee's.

Charger you blowing smoke?:poke: Don't think @Richard Cranium doing that too conservative.:poke:

What my afro-headed friend is referring to is that a roof skin replacement is needed. I would never decapitate a Charger's beautiful roof line.

Between these holes and some rotted nastiness on the trailing edge of the roof, I'm told that changing the skin is the better way to go rather than trying to repair all these holes.

thumbnail (8) (1).jpg

thumbnail (7) (1).jpg

What my afro-headed friend is referring to is that a roof skin replacement is needed. I would never decapitate a Charger's beautiful roof line.

Between these holes and some rotted nastiness on the trailing edge of the roof, I'm told that changing the skin is the better way to go rather than trying to repair all these holes.

View attachment 1560083

View attachment 1560090
Your singing the "Vinyl Top Blues".

View attachment 1560083

View attachment 1560090
Have sawzall will travel!

Seriously he has to swap out the roofskin. I have a 71 Charger with similar issues due to a vinal top. I am going to replace that one with this! There are no repro roofskins for third gen Chargers.

20231112_154346.jpg

20231112_155019.jpg

View attachment 1560083

View attachment 1560090
That sucks, but at least roof skins are available. I wouldn't have expected that on that car. I have been lucky and never had to replace a roof on any of my cars.

I have found the Mopar cars from the dry climate areas tend to rust from the top down, verses the bottom up like rust belt cars. The sun is particularly hard on vinyl tops and once the top material splits,the water and moisture get under them and they hold the moisture in. Combine that with the fact that the factory did not paint the roof of vinyl top cars,and primer is porous rust is going to happen.

Progress is being made. Some rusty areas in the hood understructure are being cut out & fabricated, and as you can see, the rotten LH inner fender is out.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

thumbnail (5).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back