• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The under 5K paint job thread

I painted the engine compartment about 2 years ago.

My paint cost includes that as well.

Single stage.

Sand to bare metal and fix 7 shopping cart dings and 1 minor sideswipe (3/8")

Paint underside of deck lid and gutters but not inside trunk

Paint door edges and jams but not interior face of doors

I removed all trim, handles and bumpers plus the lights and buckets.

No rust to repair other than the surface rust that was starting where the paint had shrunk and cracked, which was the reason for the repaint.

They also cleaned up a poor factory lead seam at the quarter to roof joint.
(I did another one at the A pillar to roof joint)
Thank you that explains a lot.

$2000

I also got about $400 in paint, reducer and hardener which I bought and supplied.

If the touch up/blend comes out good, I'll give them a glowing endorsement.

It is definitely better than I could have done.
(Although I'm sure I could have made those runs all by myself)

This shop just moved here from another nearby county.

I have a suspicion this is one of their first jobs and possibly that they may be training a new painter.

The next guy might not get that good of a deal.

However, I also need my Dakota painted in BC/CC.

...and again, I don't particularly care to spend 5K on a truck that's only worth 5K, maybe.
Good deal. Looks great

Here's mine.

IMG_20200512_103035255_HDR.jpg

Congrats and glad you're happy with it. Bottom line is that's all that matters

Now that's what I'm talking about.....
I Love it. I'm going the same way, but different color.

I purchased my '62 in 2015 and started my first (and last) "restoration", which was being built to "driver-quality" standards (on a budget).

I removed the drivetrain, exterior trim, interior, dash, glass, etc. The body was not stripped or blasted. I did as much prep and body work as I was capable of (wish I'd done more) and took it to my local MAACO shop.

I told them exactly what I wanted and they gave me a quote, which included extra charges for several small repairs (patches) on the body and painting the engine bay, door jams, and steel wheels. They also mixed the code F Pale Jade color I wanted right there (base/clear).

Long story short, I was "out the door" for about $3,200. Am I happy? Yes! Is it perfect? No! Advice? Know what you want (expect) or buy 'em done!

View attachment 868628 View attachment 868629

Just the color for my '68 GTX was $926.63 for a quality but not a name brand paint.
Primer, reducer, clear coat, activator will be at minimum another $800.00.

So I'll be spending $2000 without any labor costs since I will be doing the work myself. Glad you are happy with what you got.

Auto Transport Service
Back