20150929_070201.jpg 20150929_070152.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • YY1

YY1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      9:03 AM
      @Rob Hollinger

Is that a 361 car?

There was one for sale near me in that same color combo.

Very solid except for a few 50 cent piece rust holes in what I thought were odd locations and just a hint of cowl rust.

I had bought my 73 just a few weeks prior. Stopped to look at the coronet and it was the same price!

Saw it a few weeks later (might have been the Webster swap meet) and the asking price was 3 times more!

• r4sedan

r4sedan Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      I'm on the westcoast of FL. I dropped my BB Challenger off at a local shop a week ago.
      They are painting car door jambs trunk and engine compartment. Now keep in mind I dismantled the car before I dropped it off. There is very little bodywork needing done. The owner Mix's his own paint. $3600 Paint, wet sand, Buff and add stripe. He does all the old cars in this area.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • barbee6043

barbee6043 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        8:03 AM
        No doubt he does good work, if the paint goes on perfect metal, that is a good price. The average resto requires patch panel work so that can add more up quick. Reasonable and finding a shop that des resto work at fair price is not easy in most areas.

• YY1

YY1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        @r4sedan

Care to give out a name and location?

That's the point of this thread- to hook up members with local affordable paint and/or body guys.

I sure would be interested in getting an estimate from that guy.

Please note (again) that my $5K price target reflects very minimal body work.

As I said in the OP, about 8 quarter sized shopping cart dings, a 3/16th by 3/8 swipe, and the very beginnings of pitting in the 3/8" extreme window corners- no rust through at all.

I'm not really interested in "most cars need a lot of rust repair and it costs 10K in repair and 10K in paint" posts.

• Ceedawg

Ceedawg Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        Back in 1999 I painted my race car in a little over an hour. Pearl Yellow, that’s base, pearl, clear coat. Using my “vacuum cleaner” hvlp gun that I use to paint my cabinets. If the “painters” get $4-8000 to paint for one hour, I’m in the wrong business. Now I can see body work is labor intensive and the hours do add up. It took me about a year (in my spare time) to prep the fiberglass body plus make the doors, fenders, hood & scoop. That would be big money.

• barbee6043

barbee6043 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        8:03 AM
        I have "done" quite a few of my driver quality cars, Yes I can do perfect if I put enough time and effect in it. Do I work near as fast as a pro? No. Do I do any cars for hire, Heck NO!!
        No two cars ever seem to be the same. Amount of rust, how straight, still wears its OEM paint from the factory or been painted 10 times, previous body work??????? Years back LIke late 80's to bout '95, I had a couple of guys that did my body work, one did it after hours, he worked in a 2 man body shop. The other guy lived 50 mi from anywhere he had done everything from chopping tops, to frenching lights on hotrods, building engines, he could do it all, and could down a case a beer a day. He did perfect work too. The other guy did most my cars, he was about 25, the mechanic at a county road garage, self taught everything, he did perfect work. All was very affordable back then. Back then, as in now, not much money in buying a (desirable) good project car, doing a correct nut/bolt resto, selling it in the middle of rural America. But I did learn about how and why and costs of body work.
        I learned that body work in HARD work. I enjoy cutting out the rust, fabing panels that can not be bought, the welding, etc. I learned where to buy good primers that works for me and are affordable. I learned that after I moved to Tx, I have NO bodyshop here I would and could take a car to. As in can't afford, or don't trust, and know NOT to take it to a certain shop or type of shop. So I continue on with my driver quality work.
        I can put a pencil to what I spend and what works for me, and the costs of materials never reaches those figures I see people mouthing on these sites. I said materials, not labor.
        At 71 I am bought wore out.

• Like Like x 1
        • r4sedan

Local Time:
          I'll PM my name and phone number. You can call him. I don't think its my place to put his name on an open Forum. I do think it would be worth your ride. I've seen where people spend 10-12K on paint jobs and his look better. And your car won't be in paint prison.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
          • r4sedan

Local Time:
            Your inbox is full I'll try you on the A-body forum.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
            By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.